Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

My host has both PHP4.4.7 and PHP5.2.3 installed...

Go to End

6 Posts   2122 Views

MrSquirrel

8 Posts

4 October 2007 at 3:05pm

My web host has both PHP4.4.7 and PHP5.2.3 installed, and when I run the SilverStripe installation, it complains that I can't install because it only sees the PHP4.4.7.

I am using an outside web service provider. Is there anything I can do to make the SilverStripe install aware that they have PHP5.2.3 installed?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

4 October 2007 at 3:39pm

It depends. Sometimes they may have an option in the control panel to choose which version of PHP you want to use. Dreamhost, for example, has that ability.

Some others require you to do some changes to .htaccess to get this working. The best way to resolve this issue would be to ask your web provider how to swap between PHP 4 and PHP 5.

Cheers,
Sean

MrSquirrel

8 Posts

4 October 2007 at 6:08pm

Thanks for the quick response, Sean. I am anxious to try SilverStripe, as it looks perfect for my needs.

I have submitted a question to my provider about this, but it is strange, since their latest announcement said this:

"After Sep 10, 2007, we will start setting PHP5 as default PHP interpreter on our servers. This means that files ending with .php will be parsed by PHP5 by default. However, customers will still be able to set PHP4 as default interpreter, by using a directive in their .htaccess files.
The change will happen gradually on each of our servers and the exact date for each server will be announced later."

"We advise our customers to take the necessary steps to make their PHP driven software completely suitable to run on PHP5. If the software is a third-party application, upgrading to the latest stable version should be enough, as developers of popular software (forums, blogs, CMSs) have already released versions, ready to run on PHP5."

So, it looks like they supposedly run the PHP5 by default, which is why it confused me that SilverStripe's install thought otherwise. I will await their response though, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks again for the prompt attention!
Doug

MrSquirrel

8 Posts

4 October 2007 at 6:15pm

Never mind the last post, they got back to me quickly...just an .htaccess thing.

Thanks very much! It's installing now.

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

4 October 2007 at 10:15pm

What was the host and what was the change you needed to make to your ht access file?

MrSquirrel

8 Posts

5 October 2007 at 1:26am

It turned out they were still defaulting to the PHP4, though the announcement seemed to say differently. So they had me put this entry in the .htaccess file:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

and then it worked.