Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

Control scope

Go to End

21 Posts   6957 Views

mallbeury

Community Member, 7 Posts

13 September 2008 at 11:29pm

Hi, we have version 2.2.2 and $Top does not seem to do anything. Can you confirm it still works?

We're trying to build a pretty in depth site (http://fiction.previews.umguk.vvhp.net/staging/) but without $Top working we're a little stuck.

This is an example that does not work:

$Title
<% control Menu(1) %>
<% control children %>
$Top.Title
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

The $Top.Title displays nothing.

Hope you can help.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

13 September 2008 at 11:46pm

Maybe $top is in trunk or removed.. you can do <% control Level(1) %>$Title<% end_control %. to get the topmost then

mallbeury

15 September 2008 at 8:15pm

Thanks for such a speedy reply, that does indeed allow me to reference built in values.

I was hoping it would give me the context of the ContentController, so I can call functions.

I'm trying to call functions as I would normally do before entering into the scope of a 'control', but it seems this is only possible before you use a 'control' block.

Is there another way I can reference functions of the ContentController once we're inside a 'control'? This is really important to the sites we build and severely limiting if this is not possible.

Matt

Fuzz10

Community Member, 787 Posts

15 September 2008 at 9:47pm

try placing your functions in the Page class instead of the controller class.

That often makes the methods reachable ...

mallbeury

15 September 2008 at 11:35pm

Aha, have got the $Top working! I just downloaded the latest nightly build and it works as I'd hoped, hoorah!

I was relying on the latest stable build 2.2.2 which it seems has lost that feature.

Thanks

Matt

Go to Top