Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Design

Go to End

4 Posts   1832 Views

The SGvK

2 Posts

14 October 2007 at 12:23pm

Dear People

I used this system now for just one day and I love it, I gots all I expected from it and use it with much pleasure, but one thing my eye feld on is the (in my opinion) to little choice of templates, i would offer to make some more templates, I have my own company in designing in the netheralnds and it likes me a challenge to make a template or maybe some more or this wonderfull program, nut there is one thing i must know before I can getted started with this project, wich files i have to change or have to rebuld and in what kind of extension.
Whaiting to get some more information of some suggestions

Greatings

Sander Geurts van Kessel

Westerveldlaan 15
5345 EL Oss
Noord-Brabant
The Netherlands
sander@poinx.nl
www.poinx.nl

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

14 October 2007 at 6:18pm

Hi ther sander!

Its best you read up on the docs we have been busy writing. The lack of themes is a problem at the moment (but we only released the user submitted themes last week)

Read up on..
Theme development - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=themes:developing
HTML guidelines - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=html
CSS guidelines - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=css

Also if you are unsure about things have a look at the other themes and that should give you an idea

Let us know if there is any part that the documentation doesn't cover or isn't clear about. We are trying to make it easy for people to jump on in.

The SGvK

2 Posts

15 October 2007 at 3:40am

Thank you for your answere, I started with it as soon as I red, so I am working on it the hole day and night but there is one thing I do not get, why do you people write this program in the .ss extrension and not just .php Now I got one question about the language of .ss how can I easily make a variable which I determined in anonther file, example: I set an variable in the site name place and would link that to anonther file where I define the variable and so can change the text, maybe you can tell me what is the easiest way

Greatings

Sander

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

15 October 2007 at 10:12am

we use the ss extenstion as this emphasis's the templating language. To separate content from code we don't allow php code in the templates. All the programming side of things should be done in the code files (which are php files). The .ss files are used only as presentation templates.

would link that to anonther file where I define the variable and so can change the text[ if you are making a theme you can't define variables. In a normal site what you can do is create a function inside mysite/code/Page.php

[code php]
function MyFunction() {
return;
}

Then in in s s files use $MyFunction