Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Great news: New effects in ImageEditor.

Go to End

23 Posts   18630 Views

mateusz

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 27 Posts

18 October 2007 at 7:03am

Edited: 18/10/2007 7:03am

I will be able to add image effects (blur, sharpen, ...) to ImageEditor as a part of a project that I will be doing at my university. I need to specify in next two weeks what kind of effects I will implement, so please help me and give me some ideas.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

24 October 2007 at 1:32am

Awesome to see you back on the forum :)

Here's some ideas based on the sorts of desires I have when contributing content to silverstripe.com daily...

- alter contrast/brightness/gamma

- add warmth (yellow/orange tint)

- blur/sharpen

- change fileformat (namely from whatever format it is, to jpg or png). It could be there's a button to "check best fileformat and it saves as PNG and JPG and gives you the two filesizes" or something?

PS: I gave you two trac issues the other week, did you see them? :)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

24 October 2007 at 9:22pm

coverting to gray scale wouldn't be too hard to add but be a handy feature to have with all the other options. Some one also said on the forum to add a 'Save As' function which I agree would be great... And while your at it why don't you just create a php/javascript PhotoShop right inside SS. Now that would be awesome!! Bring on the layers, brushes and text!

Sigurd

25 October 2007 at 6:31am

Will - I agree :)

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

25 October 2007 at 9:15am

My vote would be for the ability "tag" elements within the image, like you can do in facebook. For example, when if you have a photo of three people, you could tag "bob", "paul" and "mike" in it.

Not photo manipulation per sec, but this would be very well received I suspect.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

25 October 2007 at 9:44am

Edited: 25/10/2007 9:45am

Sepia effects would be awesome, like how CSI Miami is shown. ;-) (and of course, greyscale!)

I guess that's just a matter of playing with the colour channels?

I agree with Tim's idea of tagging, I think we should have something of the like. This would certainly come in handy when presenting your images, as we can have something like the blog module in terms of tagging.

:-)

Sean

mateusz

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 27 Posts

29 October 2007 at 10:55am

@All

As the numbers of effects is limited I think I could implement:

Blur/Sharpen
Sepia/greyscale

And I thought about "vortex" effect (http://unity3d.com/gallery/shaders/images/fx%20VortexEffect.jpg) It can be quite handy if you want to hide someone identity.

@Sigurd

[PS: I gave you two trac issues the other week, did you see them? :)]

It's weird because I didn't get email notification, I will look on them today.

@Tim

Sorry but my project have to include some image processing algorithms.

Sigurd

29 October 2007 at 11:09am

Mateusz, its awesome for you to continue working on the image editor - thanks so much :)

The vortex is novel but I don't think it is sufficiently universally applicable to put as a standard feature of the image editor. We want to only have buttons and features in the site that are useful to most people, otherwise you dilute the usability of any system.

I think the vortex system gives us a fantastic opportunity however! A great thing to do is make it easy for programmers to add new features to the editor, and have the vortex as a demonstration of this modularity.

E.g. all you need to do is include a single php file, and another image-editing icon shows up and gives you this feature. We would host it in our modules file, and perhaps it could grow in time to be 'richer picture editing module'.

This means people can then add image editing controls they find useful, as well as we can host them as modules if lots of people enjoy them. If standalone features become highly ranked they can be promoted into the core.

Its good to remember that the modularity is good, as its easier for people to upgrade a module than the entire core code, which may have sideeffects (e.g. it might upgrade their openid support or something entirely unrelated).

Go to Top