Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

I18N support, fulltext search, collation

Go to End

3 Posts   7931 Views

François

25 Posts

18 October 2007 at 8:58pm

Edited: 18/10/2007 9:00pm

Hi!

I have a quite large experience with "big" CMS like DAY Communiqué, Tridion, Documentum and with others like Typo3 and eZPublish. The "big ones" are much too expensive, Typo3 is simply badly written and a nightmare to use for the end-user, and eZPublish, while being extremely powerful, is just "too much" when you need to quickly deliver prototypes. And the philosophy of eZPublish is sometimes also a problem for the end-user.

After trying (installing, following the tutorials, looking at the code, following the forums, etc.) Joomla, Drupal, Plone, ModX and Silverstripe I think Silverstripe is by far the most promising open-source CMS (with ModX just behind).

So, I would like very much to develop my next projects with Silverstripe but I've some questions I was unable to find answers for in the forums. And there are "features" which are must-have for me. I can wait some time if these are feature currently in development, and if it's possible, I'm willing to help as much as I can.

I mainly works for Swiss firms and the I18N (multilanguage) support is extremely important. In Switzerland, a web site absolutely need to be able to support at least French, German, Italian and English. And, more and more often, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Hindi are requested.

My questions, then:

- what is the status of the multi-language support? Is there a planned date for the release of a first version? I know there is a very promising GSoC project for this.

- I was very surprised to see that the table in the DB use the mysql default latin1-swedish collation. Do you plan to switch to a full utf-8 database schema with UTF-8 collation. This is especially important if we want the fulltext search of mysql to work correctly with I18N content. (for exemple, "Eté", "été", "ete" must be considered the same when indexing and searching).

A big thank you for any help regarding this issues. I very much want to use Silverstripe and I hope those I18N "problems" will be solved in the very near future.

François

PS: sorry for this very long first post and for my not-so-good english.

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

19 October 2007 at 4:26am

hello francois,

glad to hear that you've found silverstripe useful (especially with a thorough evaluation of its competitors).

> what is the status of the multi-language support? Is there a planned date for the release of a first version?
the gsoc-project in question has already been merged to trunk (which will form the 2.2 release soon, doesn't have a release-date yet, but should be roughly a month away).
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=releases

> I was very surprised to see that the table in the DB use the mysql default latin1-swedish collation
we set the collation for Enum/Text/Varchar fields to utf8_general_ci, and leave the rest to the mysql-default. these are all fields which can possibly contain translated text, so should be all good (we've already got the cms and website-content running with spanish accents for example).

> I can wait some time if these are feature currently in development, and if it's possible, I'm willing to help as much as I can.
regarding i18n, you can help with translating the backend (schweizerdeutsch?). we're preparing to release a translation interface together with 2.2, which will make community-driven translations very easy :)

François

25 Posts

24 October 2007 at 8:08pm

hello Ingo,

Thank you very very much for all those good news.

For the translation, I can help with french, as I live in Lausanne. For the "schwiizerdütsch", I myself am barely able to speak it. That's a shame, but here in Switzerland, we more and more often use english to understand each others.... Four official languages for such a small country, that's not always easy.

I'm very excited to begin a new project with Silverstripe. It's really a very nice piece of software.
Thanks for everything.