Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, simon_w

issue with big searchform

5 Posts   1678 Views

blaater

Community Member, 22 Posts

19 October 2007 at 7:52am

Hello everybody,

At the moment I'm having trouble with a big searchform on my website.
The searchform is located at: http://www.emp-ex.nl/uitgebreid-zoeken

The problem is that once all the checkboxes are checked silverstripe will generate a url with more then 2083 characters in it and IE will not display the results. I've tried changing the form-method to POST, but when I do this the pagenumbers don't work anymore.

Is there a way to get the pagenumbers working with the post-method?

Should I rename all the checkboxes for creating a shorter URL? When I do this I have to rebuild all the queries written for the search.

Does anybody know a solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

19 October 2007 at 2:15pm

POST is the way to go here i guess. which "pagenumbers" are you referring to?

blaater

21 October 2007 at 5:23am

Hello Ingo,

The pagenumbers are visible on the resultspage underneath the image container the number of vacancies found, did you try the submit-button at the bottom of the screen? Still have some javascript todo to get the button above the form working :)

Thanks!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

21 October 2007 at 2:44pm

aah, right - didn't click on submit ;)
the problem is that DataObjectSet->Pages() just appends the "start"-GET-parameter to any existing get-parameter (this is why your search-options are retained on subsequent pages).
this logic doesn't work with POST-data (or as you noted, URLs longer than ~2000 chars).
there is no easy way around this - i'd recommend to store all search-parameters in a php-session, and give a unique hash back to the URL.

in your page-controller's init(), you could check for an existing hash-parameter, and populate the $_POST-array from the session-data belonging to the hash. this is a bit hacky, but easier that to properly customize SearchForm and DataObjectSet :)

blaater

23 October 2007 at 9:53am

Hey Ingo,

Thanks for the support.
It worked out the way you said!