Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Mysterious case of the undead BlogSummary.ss

6 Posts   1606 Views

InvaderZim

Community Member, 2 Posts

30 September 2010 at 3:59am

Edited: 30/09/2010 4:00am

I have encountered a most bizarre problem. I was translating the blog module, and when i was done modifying one of the existing i18n packages I realized that not everything within the blog module (at least not in the v0.4.0 that I am using) can be translated with a i18n package. For example "Read the full post" was hardcoded in the BlogSummary.ss template:

<a href="$Link" class="readmore" title="Read Full Post">Read the full post</a>

Naturally, it would be strange to have that part of the Blog untranslated so I have edited the template. And to my utter surprise nothing has changed on my website. Not even after /?flush=1. Not even after /dev/build?flush=1. Not even after restarting the computer I am using as a server for developing this website. Of course I have checked whether some other BlogSummary.ss was being loaded, from /themes or similar, but there are no other BlogSummary.ss except the one that came with the blog module. As a matter of fact "Read full post" string (as well as "Read the full post") that is displayed on my website (and it is text, not an image) now that I have replaced it with my translation does not exist in any of the files in the entire Silverstripe instalation - I've searched the whole directory.

Is there any other explanation except that I have gone insane?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

30 September 2010 at 8:24pm

Are you sure you are editing the correct file (and the correct project?). Delete the whole file and run a ?flush=all.

Also check you're not using a hard cache by having this in your _config (at least just for testing)

SS_Cache::set_cache_lifetime('any', '-1');

Then reload the page again with a ?flush=all, if that still doesn't fix it I would think you're using the wrong file.

InvaderZim

Community Member, 2 Posts

30 September 2010 at 11:59pm

I was editing the correct file, but I did not flushed it correctly. ?flush=all solved my problem. I thought that ?flush=1 reloads all templates (flush=all was not mentioned in tutorials, and I have just started using SilverStripe) so since I was flushing from home page which is not a blog holder page, blog related templates were not flushed.
Thanks a lot, If I have not solved this problem, I would probably gave up on SilverStripe.

steveforest

Community Member, 8 Posts

27 May 2011 at 12:41am

I'm encountering the same problem on my first SS website but /dev/build/?flush=all doesn't solve my problem...

I edited /blog/templates/Includes/BlogSummary.ss to change hardcoded text and ran a /dev/build/?flush=all, but nothing changed. I have tried to override that file by putting a copy in my templates/Includes folder but that doesn't work either.

BlogSummary.ss line 13

<p class="blogVitals"><a href="$Link#PageComments_holder" class="comments" title="View Comments for this post">$Comments.Count commentaires</a> | <a href="$Link" class="readmore" title="Read Full Post">Lire la suite...</a></p>

steveforest

27 May 2011 at 2:02pm

Edited: 27/05/2011 2:03pm

If someone can help, that would me much appreciated... I have to put that site up quickly and if I can't find a solution soon, I'll have to stick with Joomla... and there are several features from SS I will miss... ;)

If it can helps, the URL of my dev site is : http://dev.steveforest.com/

steveforest

27 May 2011 at 2:29pm

I found the solution randomly... In BlogHolder.ss (in my template folder), if I cut <% include BlogSummary %>, save, paste and save again... changes I did on BlogSummary.ss are there!