Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Possible bug? Blog Entries in Site Tree

Go to End

2 Posts   1944 Views

theoldlr

Community Member, 103 Posts

8 March 2011 at 3:49am

I'm using SS 2.4.5 with Blog module 0.4.1.

The variables $default_parent and $can_be_root seem to not have any effect on the blog entries in the site tree. Here's the behavior I'm seeing:

A user has a Blog entry open in the CMS and clicks the 'Create' button. This moves the "focus" (Bluish-purple bar in site tree) to the root of the site. Then when a new BlogEntry is created it is at the bottom of the site tree, which shouldn't be possible since $can_be_root is false, and I believe $default_parent should refocus the blue bar when "Blog Entry" is selected. If the create button is already selected and the pagetype dropdown is visible then a new BlogEntry will become a child of the current blog entry I'm assuming $default_parent is supposed to take care of this too?

Also I noticed that $default_parent is set to "BlogHolder". In the documentation of SiteTree it says that $default_parent should be set to the URLSegment rather than the class name. So something is either wrong in the module or the documentation.

It seems like a rather trivial practice to click on the BlogHolder before creating the page (or clicking create, then BlogHolder, then create the page), but if the users of my site are having trouble with this, then I figured others' might too. Further, if you do make the mistake, it cannot be corrected by dragging and dropping the BlogEntry back under the BlogHolder. It will let you drag and drop, but you will get "error saving order" until you go to the Behavior Tab and change the Parent page to the BlogHolder.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? I'll open a ticket if I'm not the only one with the problem.

eternalcheesecake

Community Member, 5 Posts

22 April 2011 at 6:51pm

Yes, I have noticed the same issue--it's not just you. $default_parent doesn't work as it's described in the SiteTree docs and $can_be_root doesn't work either :(