Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Turn off spam protection ONLY when logged in, or after reaching a trusted member status

Go to End

12 Posts   3101 Views

johnmblack

Community Member, 62 Posts

1 November 2011 at 4:42am

Edited: 01/11/2011 4:44am

@Willr - I really like where this is going and think it would be a very useful built-in feature. But for it to be effective, not only does it need UI, it really needs to be grounded in a feature that automatically maintains "experience points" or auto-incrementing security levels based on number of approved posts. SMF, phpBB, bbPress, all do that out of the box (and is one reason we *almost* went with a separate phpBB installation instead of this mod.) Without such a feature, the end-admin would need to maintain the "bypass spam" group manually, which many might find too much trouble.

I would need to know if there were any plans for an experience feature, and how it might be implemented, before I could decide how to approach this.

For now, I'm ok with the "logged in" check, because we're already picky about the members we approve.

I've never used github -- but do you think the logged-in code below is useful and should land in trunk?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

1 November 2011 at 1:27pm

I would need to know if there were any plans for an experience feature, and how it might be implemented, before I could decide how to approach this.

Well you can look through open.silverstripe.org for tickets, or ask on the dev mailing list if anyone has started on something like this but as one of the maintainers for the module, I haven't been approached about doing anything like that. Would be a great little project if you're looking to help out!

I've never used github -- but do you think the logged-in code below is useful and should land in trunk?

It would be useful to have, but an option to toggle it on and off would be good (probably off by default). SpamProtectionManager::disable_when_logged_in() or a flag like that would make it flexible.

For designing the experience points system, might require a bit more though and you could discuss this on the mailing list. My idea would be to have a base decorator in spam protection which applied to members which returned a credibility rating and extend hooks so that modules could extend the getCredibility() rating. This is like 100 foot view, if you propose an API solution for it and share with the community I'm sure you'll get lots of good feedback.

johnmblack

Community Member, 62 Posts

2 November 2011 at 5:42am

Edited: 02/11/2011 5:46am

Just had another thought -- how about a config option, SpamProtectionManager::disable_after_num_posts(num) . This could be much easier to implement than the experience or role-incrementing criteria for now. We already know the member's number of posts so nothing really needs to be extended. The only odd thing is that it assumes forums are installed, so maybe that's a black box violation? Though we could check if the class exists first.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

4 November 2011 at 4:18pm

I wouldn't want a solution like that because it's not extendible beyond the forum module. Some way of providing hooks for other modules to declare the 'Ranking' of a member would be better.

Go to Top