Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Multiple BlogHolders - Blogs as Objects not Pages??

Go to End

Shelly

Community Member, 3 Posts

13 March 2012 at 6:47pm

Hi
I'm a newbie with SilverStripe - I'm working on my very first site - a community research and collaboration portal. The site will include an individual Members area - with editable Blog, and a community area - with viewable community member blogs. Typical community members will not have access to the admin area.

When a member registers I want to create a BlogHolder (page or object?) automatically. Once they've registered they will then be able to view/edit their own blog entries when they enter their 'Your Space' area. As I've started to examine the Blog Module code though I've noticed that even though the BlogHolder has a field for 'Owner' => 'Member' it seems to display entries created by anyone with ADMIN or BLOGMANAGEMENT permissions. I want to be able to just display an individual member's BlogEntries.

I've worked through some of the SSBits tutorials on Objects instead of Pages but I'm not sure if that's really necessary here. I've created Objects for other Member functions - Library publications, etc. However, I really do NOT want to have to do major changes to the Blog module unless I absolutely have to. Like I said this is my very first SilverStripe project - so I'd really appreciate some advice and recommendations. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Thanks, Shelly