What is the 'proper' way to deal with comments in the blog module with SS3.1. Particularly..
- How to disable comments globally?
- How to disable comments on a per BlogEntry basis? (ProvideComments isn't exposed in the CMS in any way at the moment - in 2.4 it was visible in the Behaviours tab, but isn't visible in the CMS at the moment)
- Out of the box, the blog module templates (BlogEntry & BlogHolder) display links to BlogEntry comments - i.e. #PageComments_holder, however the functionality doesn't exist or work. Is the silverstripe-comments module complementary / required ?
Comments used to be built in in pre 3.0 sites. It was stripped out of core in 3.0 and is now an optional module. The blog module likely hasn't been updated to handle having comments as an optional feature so pull requests welcome to improve that.
1) Disabling comments globally should just be a task of removing the comments module from the site. But like you've seen, you will need to update the templates.
2) The comments module will provide that checkbox under the settings tab (https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-comments/blob/master/code/extensions/CommentsExtension.php#L28)
3) Yep, patches welcome to remove those links if commenting isn't enabled on the page