Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Blog Module

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

German RSS feed rendered weirdly


Go to End
Reply

10 Posts   936 Views

Avatar
s_a_m_y

4 December 2013 at 6:03am (Last edited: 4 December 2013 6:04am), Community Member, 25 Posts

I have upgraded a project from 3.0 to the latest version, including the blog module and its widgets. Everything works great except a weird rendering of the RSS Feed. It appears to show the actual source code. If I look at e.g. www.silverstripe.org/blog/rss I will see the line of "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." and then the content in XML tags. With my project however the first line is missing and alls quotes and specialchars are crooked (see attachment). Even if I remove the actual content from the template, to make sure it's not the German spechialchars that cause the problem, it is not recognized as an XML output. I had the same issue with 3.0 which was one of the reasons to upgrade.

Has anyone has this issue before? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Samy

Attached Files
Avatar
martimiz

5 December 2013 at 12:46am (Last edited: 5 December 2013 12:50am), Forum Moderator, 1091 Posts

Just to make sure if this is or isn't a bug/issue in the blogmodule, could you do a plain install of just SilverStripe plus Blogmodule and see if the problem persists? If not, it must be something else...

Edit: another thing to do would be to temporary change the locale for the site to en_US to see if that has an impact.

Martine

Avatar
s_a_m_y

5 December 2013 at 1:57am Community Member, 25 Posts

Hi Martine,

thanks für your reply. Changing the locale didn't change anything unfortunately . As I said, I have also tried to replace the rss template with a very basic XML file - no content from the datebase included - and it also didn't render the output correctly. On the other hand, if I take the original template (without any dynamic content in it) and save it as an .xml file on the server, it looks the way it should. I have the feeling something else must be happening. I am using diverse add-ons so reinstalling would be quite an effort. And the site is live and running - except for that issue.

Would it make sense to test on my local environment, or is it possibly something in connection with the server config?

Groetjes
Samy

Avatar
s_a_m_y

5 December 2013 at 1:59am Community Member, 25 Posts

I also checked if the

MySQLDatabase::set_connection_charset('utf8');

was a possible problem. That also didn't do the trick :-/

Avatar
martimiz

5 December 2013 at 2:11am Forum Moderator, 1091 Posts

Would you give me a link to the actual rss feed? Feel free to email if you don't want it published here :)

Avatar
martimiz

5 December 2013 at 2:42am Forum Moderator, 1091 Posts

Hnm... Summary and First blog look perfect on iPad, that's one thing at least :) i'm not at a computer right now, will look later...

Avatar
martimiz

5 December 2013 at 7:10am Forum Moderator, 1091 Posts

So it looks good in Thunderbird on Mac, Safari doesn't want to open it at all, and Chrome displays what you're saying.

I'm no XML/RSS expert :( If noone else can tell right out of hand what is going on, I'll see if I can try a blog install tomorrow, see what gives.. Kinda curious...

Avatar
s_a_m_y

5 December 2013 at 7:40am (Last edited: 5 December 2013 7:41am), Community Member, 25 Posts

I only tried Chrome before. Firefox looks fine and Safari does the weirdest thing. It will open a new Chrome-Window :-o and even start Chrome if it was shut down first. But the window then stays blank and Safari jumps back to the blog itself. Cross-Browser-Weirdness...

If I find the time I'll also try a clean install locally tomorrow. Thanks for your effort in any case!

Go to Top