Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Cannot install module on local server

Go to End

2 Posts   2682 Views

BigMoose

Community Member, 19 Posts

21 February 2014 at 3:11am

Total noob here.

I am working on making the switch to Silverstripe 3.1.x
About two years ago, I managed to build my company website: www.skymotionvideo.com using Silverstripe 2.x . At that time, I installed the modules by simply dragging the module folder into the site route, and then doing the dev/build. I am NOT a PHP developer, but merely learned as much as needed to get my site running - relying heavily on tutorials.

I am beginning my work on my computer using a local server. (I use MAMP on my Mac for simplicity.) I downloaded the latest blog module from GitHub, as well as the Widgets module which seems to be a requirement. I did what I used to do - dragging the module folder into the root and run dev/build. First I did the Widgets module, then the Blog module. I ended up with the site breaking down, and leaving me with a white screen - no error, no message, just a plain white page of nothing.

With a little reading, I learned that 'composer' is the preferred technique for updating and installing modules, etc. Now I am completely lost. I went through the tutorial to install composer on my computer. I now have composer.phar sitting on my computer at: Macintosh HD>Users>username>composer.json
My website on my computer sits at Macintosh HD>Applications>MAMP>htdocs>mywebsite>

In terminal (another thing I am terrible at) I used the command: php composer.phar require "silverstripe/widgets:*"

This gives me:

Problem 1
- The requested package silverstripe/widgets could not be found in any version, there may be a typo in the package name.

Potential causes:
- A typo in the package name
- The package is not available in a stable-enough version according to your minimum-stability setting
see <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/composer-dev/_g3ASeIFlrc/discussion>; for more details.

Read <http://getcomposer.org/doc/articles/troubleshooting.md>; for further common problems.

Should I have the widget module folder in my website root folder? I know I am doing something completely way off as I am a total noob with this stuff. Please feel free to dumb down any response you may have.

_Vince

Community Member, 165 Posts

5 October 2014 at 9:03am

*bump* anybody?