Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Blog Module /

Discuss the Blog Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

show BlogHolder content on HomePage

2 Posts   554 Views

shellsuper

Community Member, 1 Post

3 June 2014 at 7:28pm

Hi there,

I just learn a bit about SS 3.1 and blog module. I have 2 questions at the moment:
1. I am developing some kind of online learning website which provides several courses (e.g. math, chemistry, etc). Therefore, I made each course to have its own blog module. At this moment I want to add one image as a banner for each course and it is embedded in blogHolder. I added the code on the blog/code/BolgHolder.php like this:

class BlogHolder extends BlogTree implements PermissionProvider {
   static $has_one = array(
      'Owner' => 'Member',
      'Photo' => 'Image',
   );

function getCMSFields() {
      $blogOwners = $this->blogOwners();

SiteTree::disableCMSFieldsExtensions();
      $fields = parent::getCMSFields();
      SiteTree::enableCMSFieldsExtensions();

//sets the ID and Name Map for Blog Ownership
      $owners = new DropdownField('OwnerID', 'Blog owner', $blogOwners->map('ID', 'Name')->toArray());
      $owners->setEmptyString('(None)');
      $owners->setHasEmptyDefault(true);

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Main', new CheckboxField('TrackBacksEnabled', 'Enable TrackBacks'), "Content");
      $fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Main', $owners, "Content");
      $fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Main', new CheckboxField('AllowCustomAuthors', 'Allow non-admins to have a custom author field'), "Content");
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Main", new CheckboxField("ShowFullEntry", "Show Full Entry"), "Content");
      $fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Images", new UploadField('Photo'));

$this->extend('updateCMSFields', $fields);

return $fields;
   }

Although it works like the way I want it, is it the right way to do it? I hacked in into the code instead of creating a new Holder page.

2. How do I get the content & image from the BlogHolder (not the BlogEntry) so it can be shown on the HomePage?

Thank you

helenclarko

Community Member, 35 Posts

13 November 2014 at 12:55pm

I might be able to answer your second question, but first you should look into Datmodels and how to pull data from your SQL database.

http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/topics/datamodel

Then you could do something like:

HomePage.php

function BlogHolder(){
      return $Blog = BlogHolder::get()->limit(5);   
   }

Then insipe your HomePage.ss file

you will need to add a loop for BlogHolder:

<% loop BlogHolder %>
and within the loop you should be able to pull data from the BlogHolder table in your SQL database