Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Content Editor Discussions /

Forum for content editors and CMS users.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Draft pages being published immediately

Go to End

6 Posts   2314 Views

ben123

Community Member, 4 Posts

30 January 2009 at 3:52am

Hi,

I've got a problem where as soon as I create any kind of new page, it appears in the published site, without me clicking publish.

Only way i can make it not appear is to deselect it from appearing in menus or search.

What's going wrong?

thanks,

b

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

30 January 2009 at 10:14am

Are you sure it appears on the published site? When you are logged in as admin you may be able to see archived / draft content automatically.

Try creating a page. hit save (is it still orange / yellow in the sitetree?) then logout then view the page with ?stage=Live in the URL - http://www.yoursite.com/page-thats-not-published?stage=Live

ben123

Community Member, 4 Posts

30 January 2009 at 11:57am

Doh! oh yeah! So when I'm logged in to the CMS, if I refresh my site, I automatically see the draft site, not the published site. It didn't work like this before... oh well, fine, thanks.
b

gavin

Community Member, 13 Posts

18 February 2009 at 8:36am

I'm having problems with this too.

It just doesn't seem right that you have to log out to see the live site. It's going to be really difficult explaining this to my client. If they want to compare a live page to a draft page, they need to log in, open up their page on the draft site in a new window/tab, then log out of the admin area, open up a new browser window or tab, and open up the page on the live site. Or I could ask them to add "?stage=Stage" or "?stage=Live" onto the end of any URL they go to while logged in, which is going to really confuse them.

Can't you just default the "stage" parameter to "Live" unless it's specifically set to "Stage"? That seems like it would really simplify this draft/live site comparing process.

Thanks!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

18 February 2009 at 9:33am

Down the bottom of the admin interface is a link 'View in Published Site' that should open a new window set to the published version.

gavin

Community Member, 13 Posts

18 February 2009 at 11:01am

Ok cool that will be easier to explain to the client. Thanks. I still think defaulting to the published site if "stage" isn't defined would make sense though ;)