Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Content Editor Discussions /

Forum for content editors and CMS users.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Does anyone else find the admin section in 2.3 slow...

Go to End

4 Posts   2916 Views

Ryno in Stereo

Community Member, 8 Posts

16 February 2009 at 3:49pm

Edited: 16/02/2009 3:53pm

Hey there,

I've been experimenting with the 2.3 builds over the past month and maybe it's just my hosting provider but everything seems to take a long time to load (I'm talking 30 seconds for a page to load after clicking on it)

I've just used Firebug to tell me how long everything is taking to download and the admin page took 42 seconds to get a response! Does anyone have any tips about what could be causing such a lag?

jam13

121 Posts

16 February 2009 at 9:43pm

I actually find the admin in 2.3 to be much faster than in earlier versions. Have you got a large number of pages in your site?

Ryno in Stereo

Community Member, 8 Posts

17 February 2009 at 1:50am

No, not even 20 yet?

I've gotten the host to move us to a different server and while that has made a difference, it's still pretty slow.

I'll try some other hosts as your comments lead me to believe maybe the client's provider has that wonderful tendency to overload their servers.

Any tips on improving performance?

alirobe

Community Member, 35 Posts

23 February 2009 at 6:28pm

Edited: 23/02/2009 7:18pm

The problem is firebug. Turn it off by right clicking the shortcut button in the status bar and clicking suspend. It will turn back on regularly.

This is actually quite a serious problem with firebug. There is no meta tag that I'm aware of to turn it off, and as it doesn't detect subdirectories, you can't automagically tell it to turn off when accessing the CMS.

The bit that slows it down the most is the net monitoring. However, others also slow it down substantially. You can disable this by opening firebug, clicking the net tab, and clicking the little down button that appears on that tab.

I actually came to this forum to suggest some sort of bug fix, but I can't see how it would be done. One trick would be to map the admin directory to a subdomain, which would allow you to turn it off in firebug. Another trick would be to notify the user using JS (see http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/browse_thread/thread/7ca276009609f63e ), but I don't see how notifying the user would be useful. There is also a method for turning some of it off, but it doesn't turn of all of firebug (just the console bit? - see http://davidwalsh.name/how-to-sniff-firebug-disable ).

Code for notifying users in JS

<script type="text/javascript">
if(typeof(window.console) != "undefined") /* Firebug console is defined - so firebug is active. */
{alert("Firebug is active. This may affect CMS performance. Please right click the firebug logo in the status bar and click suspend. For more information visit our wiki.")}
</script>

Code for turning off Firebug
if (! ('console' in window) || !('firebug' in console)) {   
  var names = ['log', 'debug', 'info', 'warn', 'error', 'assert', 'dir', 'dirxml', 'group', 'groupEnd', 'time', 'timeEnd', 'count', 'trace', 'profile', 'profileEnd'];  
  window.console = {};  
  for (var i = 0; i < names.length; ++i) window.console[names] = function() {};  
}  
}