Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Files & Images + Thumbnails

4 Posts   1956 Views

shmk

Community Member, 4 Posts

27 November 2009 at 9:11pm

I'm using Files & Images to upload photos through the admin panel.

Photos are uploaded "as is".

Is it possible to have a thumbnail creation in the upload process? So there is the photo in a folder and his thumb in a subfolder.

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

27 November 2009 at 9:55pm

I wonder why you would need such a feature? Images are automatically being resized and cached upon request, so you can have as many different thumbnail sizes as you wish. They will be stored in the _resampled folder.

Here's more information on this: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=image

shmk

Community Member, 4 Posts

27 November 2009 at 10:11pm

> I wonder why you would need such a feature?

Because I have a user that use a separate gallery script (not linked with SilverStripe) that needs two folders: one for the full size photo and one for the thumb.

He use SilverStripe to upload the photos on his host, so if SilverStripe automatically create a _resampled folder directly on photo upload I could modify he's script to point to the image folder and to the _resampled one.

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

28 November 2009 at 12:04am

Ah I see. So the gallery script isn't built with a SilverStripe template, where you could set the Image size.. right?
The problem is, that you need to call the resizing method somewhere first to get a generated thumbnail. Your best bet would probably be to create a DataObjectDecorator for the Image class and there create a onAfterWrite method that takes care of the thumbnail generating.