Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Can't Add Nested/Multiple Custom Tabs in CMS

Go to End

3 Posts   4282 Views

dizzystuff

Community Member, 94 Posts

2 February 2010 at 2:19am

Edited: 02/02/2010 2:20am

Hi All

I'd like to add a new set of tabs for my Page class, basically a Custom tab at the Content/Behaviour/To-Do level, and then another set of tabs underneath that tab. Unfortunately when I try to do so I get an error.

Let me be more specific -> when I add just a top level tab (that is addFieldToTab('Root.Custom',field) ) it works great, and if I try to add a sub tab to an already existing top level tab (eg addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Custom',field) ) it works fine too, but if I try to add a sub tab to the new top level tab (eg addFieldToTab('Root.Custom.Custom') ) this is when I get errors.

Below is a basic sample that I've used in Page.php and should replicate the error. If you remove the 'offending line' below, it should work. Leave it in and you'll get

FieldSet::addFieldToTab() Tried to add a tab to object 'Tab' named 'Custom' - 'CustomSub' didn't exist.
Line 272 in /path/to/silverstripe../sapphire/forms/FieldSet.php

Here's the snippet:

static $db = array(
		'Test1'	=>	'Text',
		'Test2'	=>	'Text',
	);

function getCMSFields() {
		$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
		$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Custom', new TextField('Test1'));
		$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Custom.CustomSub', new TextField('Test2'));  // The offending row
		return $fields;
	}

I am using a very recent checkout of the 2.4 branch if that matters, but I'd have expected this to be pretty core functionality.

Also, I've come across this in my hunting http://silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/252514#post252514 which I'm a bit afraid of - it seems to be the same issue, but is from over 12 months ago. Reeally hoping there's been a fix for this since?

Would really appreciate your help forum peeps!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 February 2010 at 11:35am

I think a couple of things you could try - Try making sure Test1 is on its on subtab as well. Since I'm not too sure if SS likes having 1 field on the Root.Custom tab (only 1 level deep) then Root.Custom.Subtab. Try putting them both on Custom.Subtab.

Next thing you may need to do is manually create the tab before referencing it

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root', new TabSet('Custom'));

dizzystuff

Community Member, 94 Posts

3 February 2010 at 3:43pm

Great! Thanks Willr, that pretty much did the trick.

When I used verbatim the sample you posted, the third line (when combined with the line before it) caused another error:

I just mention that for people looking at this thread in future. The jist of it worked great, once I created the parent tab I could add as many custom tabs under it that I wanted. You were right I couldn't add a text field to the parent tab as well as having sub-tabs, but that was me not thinking through the code properly rather than actually wanting that outcome.

Working code:

function getCMSFields() {   
		$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Custom.SubCustom', new TextField('test1')); 
		$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Custom.OtherSubCustom', new TextField('test2')); 
		return $fields;
	}

Many thanks!