Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

URL handling issue

Go to End

4 Posts   1777 Views

dbenton

Community Member, 23 Posts

10 March 2010 at 11:30am

I am trying to pass a parameter containing a forward slash to a controller, but it seems that the request is never making it to the controller when the forward slash is encoded. For example:

http://www.domain.org/controller/action/this%2Fthat/

returns a "Page not found" error page, while:

http://www.domain.org/controller/action/something-else/

works just fine.

I cannot debug this with ?debug_request=1 as it does not seem to work on this URL either. Seems like a bug... Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 March 2010 at 11:56am

I think you want to avoid any use of / in your parameters. - is fine, SS will convert - to _ for the action method I believe so /page/action-something will call action_something()

dbenton

Community Member, 23 Posts

16 March 2010 at 12:08pm

Thanks, Willr.

What I'm trying to do, basically, is pass a category name. I'd like to use the name, rather than an id, for SEO reasons. I don't get to pick the category names, so I can't necessarily exclude forward slashes.

It seems that an encoded slash should be acceptable. I guess I will submit a ticket in Trac, but I wanted to check here first, as I figured I had just overlooked something obvious.

Best,
David

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 March 2010 at 1:05pm

Edited: 16/03/2010 1:05pm

Rather then just use what the author enters you should generate a valid URL slug and use that as the link. I'm guessing category is a dataobject? If so you can use onBeforeWrite() to add a slug field to your category.

Heres a quick example

<?php

class Category extends DataObject {

static $db = array(
'Title' => 'Varchar(200)',
'Slug' => 'Varchar(200)
);

function onBeforeWrite() {
parent::onBeforeWrite();
if(!$this->Slug) {
	$str = strtolower(trim($this->Title)); // use lowercase urls
	$str = preg_replace('/[^a-z0-9-]/', '-', $str); // use alphanumeric values only
	$str = preg_replace('/-+/', "-", $str);
	$this->Slug = $str;
}
}

}

Now you have a $Slug field which gives a more reliable result then using a title which is defined in the cms.