Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Adding content to each page

3 Posts   792 Views

barryvanveen

Community Member, 11 Posts

18 May 2010 at 8:45am

Hi all,

I've only started developing with Silverstripe a short while ago and got some questions. I want to include a list of upcoming events from a Google Calendar. I started by making a widget because I found the "how to make your own widget" tutorial. Now that I'm done, and the widget is working, I think it is not exactly what I need :-)

The list of events should be on every page, or at least at almost every page. Using a widget doesn't seem natural because one has to use the widget-tab to add it to each page.

Then I thought I could just add a method to the Page class using this piece of code:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
function Events() {
$oGCalendarWidget = new GCalendarWidget();
return $oGCalendarWidget->Events();
}
}

From what I understood this would make it accessible in the templates using <% control Events %>, but I don't get any results. Is this the correct way to do this kind of stuff?

Cheers,

Barry

_Vince

Community Member, 162 Posts

18 May 2010 at 10:36am

The <% control Events %> calls the function but you still need to display the results on the template.

Are you doing that? it should be something like

<% control Events %>
<div class="EventName">$EventName</div>
<div class="EventDate">$EventDate</div>
<% end_control %>

and so on.

barryvanveen

Community Member, 11 Posts

23 May 2010 at 12:34pm

Sorry for the late response. My problem has been (partially) solved. I was expecting it all to work because the widget worked, but I didnt't realise that this function would not use the widget-template. So now everythings works perfectly but is still don't know if this is "the right way" to solve it.

I've got this library (Zend_Gdata) which is the google api I use, and I've got a class that has all the needed functionality. Where should you normally put those files in your sites hierarchy? Should I put the Calendar-class in mysite/code (seems the natural place) and where should i keep the library?

Cheers

Barry