Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Indexes in DataObject and ModelAdmin

3 Posts   1754 Views

Vromepiet

Community Member, 11 Posts

8 July 2010 at 7:07am

Hello,

I've just started playing around a bit with silverstripe. As a test, I created a Country class, extending DataObject. I use ModelAdmin to manage these countries. Because I also store the ISO code for a country, I would like to have a unique index on that column. Quite ease so far:

class Country extends DataObject {

static $db = array(
'Name' => 'Varchar(100)',
'Description' => 'Varchar(200)',
'Iso3166' => 'Varchar(10)',
);

static $indexes = array(
array( 'type' => 'unique', 'value' => 'Iso3166' )
);

}

However, while testing this new index, I ran into a problem. The ModelAdmin interface does not give any error when I try to enter a country with an already existing ISO code. In fact, it does not do anything. It just keeps displaying the 'saving' animation and nothing else. When I interrupt and go back to the country list, a new EMPTY record seems to be created.

I expected SS to give an error and cancel the Save option. Do I have to program something extra to achieve that behavior?

Jeroen Jansen.

Vromepiet

Community Member, 11 Posts

9 July 2010 at 7:34am

Hi,

Problem solved. It seems that in such cases a Validator is required. I'm working on it now.

Regards, Jeroen.

beezer

Community Member, 16 Posts

31 December 2010 at 1:30am

Hi Jeroen,

I am trying to do the exact same thing, have sorted out the index but get no error message in Model Admin. Do you have an example I could have a look at?

Cheers