Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

TinyMCE get rid of formatting from other sources

Go to End

DNA

Community Member, 24 Posts

7 July 2010 at 5:13pm

Edited: 07/07/2010 5:15pm

Since I work with a team of people in creating a site, we often have a problem with content that has been copied from some source (normally Word) and has extra formatting (span, style etc).

I have noticed a few people posting about this so thought I'd offer a reasonable solution.

While some people have focused on changing how the paste command works in TinyMCE, I believe the valid_elements is the better choice.

The default for this allows pretty much every thing (no js though) and can be easily cutomised in mysite/_config.php

The default is this (and can be found in cms/_config.php):

HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOptions(array('valid_elements' => "@[id|class|style|title],#a[id|rel|rev|dir|tabindex|accesskey|type|name|href|target|title|class],-strong/-b[class],-em/-i[class],-strike[class],-u[class],#p[id|dir|class|align|style],-ol[class],-ul[class],-li[class],br,img[id|dir|longdesc|usemap|class|src|border|alt=|title|width|height|align],-sub[class],-sup[class],-blockquote[dir|class],-table[border=0|cellspacing|cellpadding|width|height|class|align|summary|dir|id|style],-tr[id|dir|class|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|bgcolor|background|bordercolor|style],tbody[id|class|style],thead[id|class|style],tfoot[id|class|style],#td[id|dir|class|colspan|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|scope|style],-th[id|dir|class|colspan|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|scope|style],caption[id|dir|class],-div[id|dir|class|align|style],-span[class|align|style],-pre[class|align],address[class|align],-h1[id|dir|class|align|style],-h2[id|dir|class|align|style],-h3[id|dir|class|align|style],-h4[id|dir|class|align|style],-h5[id|dir|class|align|style],-h6[id|dir|class|align|style],hr[class],dd[id|class|title|dir],dl[id|class|title|dir],dt[id|class|title|dir],@[id,style,class]")
);

If you wish to disallow all style tags, use this:

HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOptions(array('valid_elements' => "@[id|class|title],#a[id|rel|rev|dir|tabindex|accesskey|type|name|href|target|title|class],-strong/-b[class],-em/-i[class],-strike[class],-u[class],#p[id|dir|class|align],-ol[class],-ul[class],-li[class],br,img[id|dir|longdesc|usemap|class|src|border|alt=|title|width|height|align],-sub[class],-sup[class],-blockquote[dir|class],-table[border=0|cellspacing|cellpadding|width|height|class|align|summary|dir|id|style],-tr[id|dir|class|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|bgcolor|background|bordercolor|style],tbody[id|class|style],thead[id|class|style],tfoot[id|class|style],#td[id|dir|class|colspan|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|scope|style],-th[id|dir|class|colspan|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|scope|style],caption[id|dir|class],-div[id|dir|class|align|style],-span[class|align|style],-pre[class|align],address[class|align],-h1[id|dir|class|align|style],-h2[id|dir|class|align|style],-h3[id|dir|class|align|style],-h4[id|dir|class|align|style],-h5[id|dir|class|align|style],-h6[id|dir|class|align|style],hr[class],dd[id|class|title|dir],dl[id|class|title|dir],dt[id|class|title|dir],@[id,style,class]")
);

If you wish to disallow all style tags, spans and divs use this:

HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')->setOptions(array(
	'valid_elements' => "@[id|class|title],#a[id|rel|rev|dir|tabindex|accesskey|type|name|href|target|title|class],-strong/-b[class],-em/-i[class],-strike[class],-u[class],#p[id|class],-ol[class],-ul[class],-li[class],br,img[id|dir|longdesc|usemap|class|src|border|alt=|title|width|height|align],-sub[class],-sup[class],-blockquote[dir|class],-table[border=0|cellspacing|cellpadding|width|height|class|align|summary|dir|id|style],-tr[id|dir|class|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|bgcolor|background|bordercolor|style],tbody[id|class|style],thead[id|class|style],tfoot[id|class|style],#td[id|dir|class|colspan|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|scope|style],-th[id|dir|class|colspan|rowspan|width|height|align|valign|scope|style],caption[id|dir|class],-pre[class|align],address[class|align],-h1[id|dir|class|align|style],-h2[id|dir|class|align|style],-h3[id|dir|class|align|style],-h4[id|dir|class|align|style],-h5[id|dir|class|align|style],-h6[id|dir|class|align|style],hr[class],dd[id|class|title|dir],dl[id|class|title|dir],dt[id|class|title|dir],@[id,style,class]")
);

I use the third and am considering taking out a lot of the table attributes so that they are less of an issue as well.