Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Edit ModelAdmin record in popup

4 Posts   959 Views

Chris Hope

Community Member, 18 Posts

17 December 2010 at 10:23am

In a ModelAdmin page you can search for a record and then edit it. The edit page loads into the right side. Is there a way to make it load into a popup instead? Like you can when editing a record from a regular ComplexTableField.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1799 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:33am

yes there are ways - but my first question would be why?

personally I think ModelAdmin is fantastic. You only need to specify the DataObject(s) and 2/3 lines to create a ModelAdmin and your work is over... why make things more complicated?

Chris Hope

Community Member, 18 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:41am

Edited: 17/12/2010 11:41am

I agree, it's wonderful and simple. However, if you are on page 2 or page 3 for example, go edit a record and then click "Go Back" you are back on the first page. You can right-click and open in a new window to edit the record but it would be nice to have the option to be able to open it in a layover/popup/whatever you want to call it. I've found in my own sites I have occasionally wanted to do this, as well as now my customer specifically asking for something like this because they need to edit a lot of records.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1799 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:47am

Edited: 17/12/2010 11:49am

ahhh - something I've been asked about by another client - is there a ticket open on this?

All other bugs I remember from a year ago on ModelAdmin have been solved as I can tell. I don't use the 'back' button, I find setting a large page size (to see more than 10 records) and making sure the search is right (to make it easy to find the records you want) means I use 'search' again instead. When I want tons of info I really need a report of a mass update / batch operation.

It sounds a bit ridiculous, but if you were to add all the records into a tab of one, using a HasManycomplexTableField - this would accomplish it straight away. It would obviously loose the searching capabilities - I think the DOM HasManyEtc has much more searching/selecting/editing capabilities - I'd encourage you to look at that.