Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Edit ModelAdmin record in popup

Go to End

4 Posts   1795 Views

Chris Hope

Community Member, 18 Posts

17 December 2010 at 10:23am

In a ModelAdmin page you can search for a record and then edit it. The edit page loads into the right side. Is there a way to make it load into a popup instead? Like you can when editing a record from a regular ComplexTableField.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:33am

yes there are ways - but my first question would be why?

personally I think ModelAdmin is fantastic. You only need to specify the DataObject(s) and 2/3 lines to create a ModelAdmin and your work is over... why make things more complicated?

Chris Hope

Community Member, 18 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:41am

Edited: 17/12/2010 11:41am

I agree, it's wonderful and simple. However, if you are on page 2 or page 3 for example, go edit a record and then click "Go Back" you are back on the first page. You can right-click and open in a new window to edit the record but it would be nice to have the option to be able to open it in a layover/popup/whatever you want to call it. I've found in my own sites I have occasionally wanted to do this, as well as now my customer specifically asking for something like this because they need to edit a lot of records.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

17 December 2010 at 11:47am

Edited: 17/12/2010 11:49am

ahhh - something I've been asked about by another client - is there a ticket open on this?

All other bugs I remember from a year ago on ModelAdmin have been solved as I can tell. I don't use the 'back' button, I find setting a large page size (to see more than 10 records) and making sure the search is right (to make it easy to find the records you want) means I use 'search' again instead. When I want tons of info I really need a report of a mass update / batch operation.

It sounds a bit ridiculous, but if you were to add all the records into a tab of one, using a HasManycomplexTableField - this would accomplish it straight away. It would obviously loose the searching capabilities - I think the DOM HasManyEtc has much more searching/selecting/editing capabilities - I'd encourage you to look at that.