Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to structure members section of the site

Go to End

2 Posts   1049 Views

ccburns

Community Member, 79 Posts

10 January 2011 at 6:08pm

Hi Guys,

I am about to start building a personal project using SilverStripe and I thought I would ask you guys some advice before I get started. At the moment I am just in the planning phase but hoping to move on to the design and coding phase in the next 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, to the point. The website is a being design so that we have try to bring long-term travelling families together in a single place. I will use the forum module, create some custom page types etc. BUT my main question is this:

What I would really like is for each family to have a single (family) profile on the site, where we will store their basic information and travel itinerary etc. But I would like for each person within this family to be able to have an account so they can access the forums etc.

Sorry, this might be a stupidly simple question, but does anyone have any advice how I can set this up to have multiple members that belong to a family.

So I guess this would mean when a family signs up we will need to create a member record in the member table and then a family record (in a family object or something like that).

Anyway, ANY suggestions of a way to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Colin

lx

Community Member, 83 Posts

10 January 2011 at 9:53pm

hi,

i am not sure what your problem is exactly.
but i would make a registerform like that:

Family:

family name: _______

Person 1:

first name: __________
surname: _________
email: _________
password: _______

Person 2:

first name: __________
surname: _________
email: _________
password: _______

Then (you are right) , you have to create a new familiy (dataobject class) and n members (all that are filled out)

To get a relation between family and member you could decorate the member class to get a "familiyID" in the members table.

I hope this helps you.