Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

How to customise SilverStripe - Newbie??

2 Posts   473 Views

Nadz

Community Member, 8 Posts

29 March 2012 at 12:24pm

I am new SS developer and user. The site i am working on has multiple design layouts of same page.
For example, a homepage can be of 3 design layouts, one for a standard user, one for client and one for business user.
Each layout has its 3 to 6 content boxes which are editable by editor, something like this http://www.checkoutapp.com/
All content has to be editable by content authors who are not html savvy.

I dont intend to develop multiple templates for single page.

Can someone please let me know as what is the best approach of developing templates for this kind of site.
Can i have a standard page, say Homepage, with cotent-editable widgets for each boxes??

thanks in advance.
Nadeem

novaweb

Community Member, 115 Posts

29 March 2012 at 2:28pm

Hi Nads,

Welcome to the SilverStripe community.

This is not a complete answer, but will get you on the right track. It will be a little bit of a challenge if you are new to SilverStripe, but for someone familiar with it, it could be achieved in under a couple of hours.

1) Create your different Security Groups, in the Security section of your site (Standard, Client, Business) - add appropriate members.
2) Create your main CSS stylesheet in themes/mytheme/css/layout.css - This should hold the div styling, the structure for your page, but no colours or "Group Specific" css.
3) Create your "Group Specific" css files in themes/mytheme/css/ (standardUser.css, clientUser.css, businessUser.css)

I'll assume from here on you want this to be applied to every page type, so we will use Page.php

4) Do this in Page.php Page_Controller class, right at the top: (haven't tested code, but you should understand the logic)

function init() {
   parent::init();

// This part switches the CSS based on the logged in user

if(Member::CurrentUser()->InGroup('Standard')) {
      Requirements::css('themes/mytheme/css/standardUser.css');
   } elseif(Member::CurrentUser()->InGroup('Client')) {
      Requirements::css('themes/mytheme/css/clientUser.css');
   } elseif(Member::CurrentUser()->InGroup('Business')) {
      Requirements::css('themes/mytheme/css/businessUser.css');
   }
}

Cheers,