Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

adding image slideshow - one tiny question please

Go to End

4 Posts   2989 Views

webdeb

Community Member, 22 Posts

24 May 2012 at 4:41pm

Include the slideshow in your templates by adding <% include Slideshow %>????? where????? do you mean in themes folder in Page.ss? if so, why not say so?

Can someone please tell me which folder and which file requires this added, and where exactly. I had the same problem with the max skitter slide show, I went to the trouble of installing and loading but no pics were showing, so I went back and discovered this instruction which I didnt know where to put the code. So had to abandon that install too. I am using cloudy theme, it is not a template, so which template file??
please help!! I have spent 3 weeks installing silverstripe, and keep coming to a dead stop with over half the modules, due to insufficient instructions.

novaweb

Community Member, 116 Posts

24 May 2012 at 5:12pm

Hi Webdeb,

I'm going to be dead honest here, It's probably not realistic people are able to help you at this stage as often we need specific details in order to debug problems. That being said:

Assuming you've installed SilverStripe and then the module, you'll need to do the following.

I am going to assume you are using "gallery" for argument's sake. Inside gallery/code will be GalleryPage.php. This will contain your Slideshow function.

Your problem is, your website knows about the gallery being installed, but your theme has no idea what a gallery page is! In order for SilverStripe modules to work correctly, you need to have matching Templates for each page type. eg:

GalleryPage.php uses template /themes/mytheme/templates/Layout/GalleryPage.ss
GalleryPageHolder.php uses template /themes/mytheme/templates/Layout/GalleryPageHolder.ss

By default, SilverStripe tries to cascade the page using the default /themes/mytheme/templates/Layout/Page.ss template. You could try putting <% include Slideshow %> under $Content, that may work.

SilverStripe is an open source, community driven effort. Yes sometimes it lacks documentation in some areas, however the areas lacking documentation are usually from community submitted modules authored by people such as ourselves.

Perhaps if you do get the Slideshow working, your next step would be to write a short instruction manual on the module, including what i've written above, then committing it back to the project so no-one runs in to this issue for this particular module in the future. That's all part of the open source process.

Let me know how you get on.

Nova

webdeb

Community Member, 22 Posts

24 May 2012 at 7:15pm

Put <% include Slideshow %> in the Page.ss, under $Content, in /themes/mytheme/templates/Layout/Page.ss. I added the max skitter code in the same place and now that is working too.

Yes thank you novaweb, that worked immediately! Choice!.

novaweb

Community Member, 116 Posts

25 May 2012 at 9:37am

No Worries webdeb glad it helped.