Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Prevent user group from creating pages

7 Posts   879 Views

bones

Community Member, 104 Posts

18 June 2012 at 12:51am

Is there a way to edit a user group's permissions to prevent them from adding and deleting pages from the site tree?

I still want Admins to have this functionality though.

Thanks

bones

11 July 2012 at 12:35am

From the lack of replies, it looks as if this isn't possible.

I really need to prevent users from creating new pages. Where in the code can I "comment out" the code for the create button?

Thanks

cuSSter

Community Member, 56 Posts

11 July 2012 at 2:42am

Edited: 11/07/2012 2:43am

Hi bones,

In the Security tab in the CMS, you can create a group and assign permissions for that particular group through the Permissions tab.

bones

14 July 2012 at 2:35am

Edited: 14/07/2012 2:42am

Thanks for the reply, cuSSter, but there doesn't seem to be a way to remove the "Create" button from a group.

I've created a new group, tried many permutations of permissions settings, and added a new user. When I log in as that user, the "Create" button still appears at the top of the site tree.

Which of the permissions should I untick to remove the "Create Page" option?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1132 Posts

14 July 2012 at 2:52am

Edited: 14/07/2012 2:59am

You might try to use the page's canCreate() function and return false if the current user is not an admin. Something like:

function canCreate($Member = null) {
   if (!Permission::check("ADMIN")) {
      return false;
   } else {
      return parent::canCreate($member);
   }
}

The create button and dropdown will still be there, but the dropdown will at least be empty...

cuSSter

Community Member, 56 Posts

14 July 2012 at 3:03am

martimiz is right. Put that in Page.php and no one can create Pages unless they belong to the administrators group. Or add new permission for Page manipulation, I think it's more neat. So you can fully control which user groups will have such permissions on a page. Here's a simple tutorial on how to achieve that: http://www.balbuss.com/ under the Members and security tab.

bones

18 July 2012 at 9:21pm

Thanks, these look like good solutions, I'll give them a try.

Currently, for quickness, I've just commented out the "Create" button in cms/templates/includes/CMSMain_left.ss It's not an elegant solution, but it does the job.