Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Tailoring the end-user experience

3 Posts   452 Views

Dr. J

Community Member, 8 Posts

21 October 2012 at 7:22pm

Silverstripers

For some end-users, the introduction to managing content using a CMS UI is a daunting task. What approaches are there for 'dumbing down' the UI so that a newbie to web-by-cms is an easier pill to swallow.

The only reference I have seen on this issue suggests using CSS to hide 'disabled' sections but there must be a more robust approach to this. This post ([url]http://www.silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/21172[/url]) asks a similar question - using good english I thought?

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1132 Posts

24 October 2012 at 12:17am

Edited: 24/10/2012 12:17am

I've replied to the post below, but I don't think there is an easy answer to that question...

Removing sections (= mainmenu items) from the cms is easily done by manipulating permissions for a given usergroup. This goes for ModelAdmin sections as well.

Removing tabs/fields from individual pagetypes can be done by checking the usergroup/permissions in the getCMSFields() and getSettingsFields() functions and create fields accordingly

Setting permissions to add, edit, delete, publish, view on a per DataObject base can be done by checking usergroup/permissions in their respective canCreate(), canEdit(), canDelete(), canPublish() and/or canView() functions (return false = no can do)

This sums up some of your basic (CMS) settings but, depending on you expertise, you could go much farther then that...

Martine

Dr. J

Community Member, 8 Posts

25 October 2012 at 5:43pm

More valuable Fu. I will experiment with your back end insights to see if I can achieve the user experience I am after via the CMS.

In reality, this is a UX question with the expected sea of trade-offs that transcends any one CMS (is there any worth consider other than SS I hear you ask). I am going flip it to some colleagues in that area. If I obtain any deep insights, I'll post a follow-up in case some other philosopher stumbles upon this thread.

Many thanks