Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Update mechanism for my plugin

Go to End

5 Posts   1128 Views

dpde

Community Member, 15 Posts

1 February 2013 at 6:57am

Hi,

I developed an plugin and would like to implement an update mechanism wich updated the plugin automatically without any need of user interaction.

Do you have any idea or some tipps how to implement this?

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

1 February 2013 at 7:47am

dpde

Community Member, 15 Posts

1 February 2013 at 7:51am

Edited: 01/02/2013 7:51am

No, I am referring to something like the update mechanism in wordpress. Just a simple click in the backend and my Plugin will updates itself.

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

1 February 2013 at 8:13am

oh, then there isn't one that I know of... there was once a ModuleManager being discussed for SS3...

http://open.silverstripe.org/wiki/development/ModuleManager
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/silverstripe-dev/e7PiIwmV7CU

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

9 February 2013 at 3:34pm

The core team has made it clear a couple times that building that sort of GUI plugin manager (and required other interfaces / API's) isn't a high priority to fit in with the design decisions of the framework and I doubt you'll see it anytime soon unless driven by a particular group / developer.

With Composer / Packagist being used for modules now that actually sorts a bit of the backend infrastructure out (dependancies, supported versions, module meta data etc) so in theory if a plugin manager was needed a developer could leverage composer and simply add a GUI ontop of that.