Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

new tab on tab in system

Go to End

29 Posts   6873 Views

theAlien

Community Member, 131 Posts

30 December 2008 at 11:27am

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a new tabset on the maintab in the system, so that I can add fields to this new Root.Content.Main.Newtab-tab.
Right now I have this:

public static $db = array('Newtab' => 'TabSet');

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new Tab('Newtab','Newtab',array('Tab one','Tab two',));

return $fields; }

But that doesn't work. Does someone have a suggestion?

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

30 December 2008 at 12:46pm

Um, I don't think you can add a third level of tabs.....although I've never tried.

Is there a particular reason you cant just add it to the end of the second level of tabs?

theAlien

30 December 2008 at 1:12pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Of course I can add it to the end of the other tabs.
But I guess my users would more likely look top-down instead of left-right.
Left-right seems to be for the more advanced features (f.e. metadata - most of my users don't even know what these are, but I don't want to remove them completely).
Top-down would in that case be for the regular user.

By adding tabs on the main tab, I can force them to not overlook some fields (that are essential, but too much to add in a normal way in the main-tab)

Wow... that's quite a story. I hope you "can make chocolate out of it" (a weird dutch expression ;-) )

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

30 December 2008 at 2:42pm

hmm, I see. Well unfortunately i don't think I can help you as I've never seen this done.

perhaps one of the more experienced devs knows if it's possible?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4094 Posts

30 December 2008 at 5:40pm

Edited: 30/12/2008 5:41pm

I'm having a really hard time understanding what you're trying to do. Instad of this:

Content Behaviour ToDo
....Main MetaData etc
........MyTab1 MyTab2

You want this?

Content Behaviour ToDo
....Main MetaData etc
........MyTab1
........MyTab2

Where MyTab1 and MyTab2 would show/hide different fieldsets?

theAlien

31 December 2008 at 9:08am

Edited: 31/12/2008 9:18am

Euh... now I'm having a hard time...

What I'm aiming at is:

Content is the ancestor of main
Main is the ancestor of a tabset with 2 or 3 sibling-tabs (MyTab1, MyTab2 etc)

I guess that's the first option you wrote.

The second one would be:
Content is the ancestor of main
Main is the ancestor of MyTab1
MyTab1 is the ancestor of MyTab2

And that's not what I want.

Oh! Wait! I guess I understand your hard time!
Forget my second post. I'll try to make myself clear: There is some eyetracking research out on the web that discovered people are reading text's in an F-shape; the horizontals of the F being headings and so on (as long as they understand what they are reading), the verticals of the F being the first word of every plaintext-line, and of everything they don't understand. A link: [url]http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html[/url]

I expect my backend-users to start reading the form at "Page name" and getting bored if the form appears to long.
That means a few things:
1) they would miss everything on the horizontal line of Main, Metadata etc (not only because they simply won't see it, but also because they don't understand what metadata (the second-term) are).
2) I have some formitems like startdate, starttime, enddate, endtime, contactname, contactemail, eventlocation etc. While SS is ordering formfields below eachother, it would make a pretty long form (too long for my users). So I thought about grouping them on a few tabs (a date-tab, a contact-tab etc.) It would reduce the formlength considerably, and if I order that tabset just below Navigation label (for example), it would work as a new (horizontal) 'heading' in the F-shape.
I hope this helps ;-)
(BTW: the possibility to order the shorter date- and time-fields next to each other would be a neat feature)

UncleCheese

31 December 2008 at 9:44am

Easy enough. I'll whip up something for you when I get out of work. Give me a few hours.

I definitely agree with you about the F patterns, but I think that's why SS puts all the stuff you never use far to the right. :-)

UncleCheese

31 December 2008 at 4:17pm

This ought to get you started. Drop this folder in your Silverstripe root and run a flush.

Usage:

$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new VerticalTabSet(
         new VerticalTab('Fruits', array (
            new TextField('Apple'),
            new TextField('Orange')
         )),
         new VerticalTab('Vegetables', array (
            new TextField('Carrot'),
            new TextField('Celery')
         ))
      ));

Let me know how that works for you.