Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

disabling/enabling fields based on dropdown selection

7 Posts   3321 Views

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

1 January 2009 at 12:12am

Hi guys

I am trying to grey out some fields in the CMS based on the selection of a dropdown above. So I have a drop down with home/away as options and then I have an away club address underneath which I want to be greyed out and uneditable if home is selected.

Any ideas?

cheers

aram

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4094 Posts

1 January 2009 at 4:48am

Hi, aram,

You need to use the Behaviour class to add a javascript behavior to your select box. See the file I posted here http://www.silverstripe.org/customising-the-cms/show/251409. I did this sort of thing in the VerticalTabSet class. The only difference is yours will use an onchange event, but for the most part, you should be able to copy a lot of that code.

Let me know if you have any questions.

UncleCheese

1 January 2009 at 4:49am

Also, if you're interested in using radio buttons instead, the SelectionGroup field is really easy to use. (the behaviour you see in a FileIFrame field, for instance)...

Carbon Crayon

1 January 2009 at 8:04am

Edited: 01/01/2009 8:05am

thanks for the help :)

I tried to get the Java stuff working but failed miserably, which isn't so surprising as i have yet to properly learn any javascript!

I think SelectionGroup souds like a great solution for me right now so I will leave the dropdown untill I have time to learn a bit of js.

I cant seem to find any documentation on the SelectionGroup and the API doc isnt incredibly clear on implementation, any chance you could post an example?

Once again, thanks :)

Oh and Happy new year! I think 2009 will be a good year for SS

UncleCheese

1 January 2009 at 8:57am

I use it in ImageGalleryAlbum.php, if you have that handy.

$f->push(new SelectionGroup("Source", array(
   "new//Create a new folder" => new HiddenField(""),
   "existing//Use an existing folder" => new FieldGroup("",
      new DropdownField("FolderID","",DataObject::get("Folder",null,"Title ASC")->toDropdownMap('ID','Filename'))
   )
))
);

where the text before the // is the value of the radio button and after it is the label. Notice i use an empty hiddenfield, since in this case, clicking "use an existing folder" exposes nothing.

Also, if you plan to use this in a popup, you'll need to use the PopupSelectionGroup that i created for the image gallery.

Carbon Crayon

2 January 2009 at 1:13am

mate your a legend that works perfectly!

I love adding details like that to the interface it really seems to add an extra level usability.

anyway thanks so much for your help :)

Nexus Rex

Community Member, 8 Posts

3 May 2009 at 3:40am

aram - Do you mind posting the full code for your form that you used to disable/enable fields based upon another fields selection value. I need to get this done, but would appreciate a more simple step-by-step explanation.

A link to see the live example would be great as well.

Thank you,

Travis Cable