Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

I wanna make a sidebar, but how?

37 Posts   13582 Views

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

30 March 2009 at 2:31am

There is now a tutorial on creating a sidebar on SSbits.com

http://www.ssbits.com/create-a-static-sidebar-editable-from-the-cms/

Happysadhu

Community Member, 33 Posts

29 July 2009 at 11:42am

Thanks for the helpful info.
I couldn't get your suggestion to work -- error of unexpected ");" kept popping up -- until I removed a couple of commas after 'LinkText' => 'LinkText' and 'getCMSFields_forPopup' in LinksPage.php (See below for modified version).

$LinkField = new HasManyComplexTableField(
$this,
'Links',
'Link',
array(
'Link' => 'Link',
'LinkText' => 'LinkText'
),
'getCMSFields_forPopup'
);

Is there a way of having a drop down selection of the available internal links rather then having to manually enter in each link -- similar to your static sidebar tutorial, but also still having the "Add a link" option so that one can a number of links with only one drop down menu of links (pop-up?)

Thanks,
Sam

mindreader

Community Member, 2 Posts

1 August 2009 at 10:02pm

Wow i have found a lot of useful info here , thanks guys :D

profimus

Community Member, 8 Posts

28 August 2010 at 12:56am

Hello Aram,

How about making 2 or even 3 CMS editable blocks that appear on all pages?

Carbon Crayon

28 August 2010 at 1:03am

Edited: 28/08/2010 1:04am

Hi Profimus,

it works exactly the same, just repeat as desired!

Have a run through the [url=http://www.ssbits.com/create-a-static-sidebar-editable-from-the-cms/]tutorial on SSbits.com[/url]. All you need to do is create some extra fields in hte CMS and output them in your template :)

Aram

Atragon

1 September 2010 at 5:43am

Hello aram,

I've managed to add the static sidebar as you describe in your article on ssbits to my website. However, when I try to add a poll to it using the poll module (http://doc.silverstripe.org/modules:polls?s[]=poll) nothing happens.

I know the poll module is working because if I add the $MyPoll call in the Sidebar.ss file immediately above or below the <% include StaticSidebar %> line, it works. However when I add the $MyPoll call in the StaticSidebar.ss file immediately below the <h3> line, nothing happens.

Do you have any idea as to why this might be happening?

My goal is to have a random poll visible on every page, not just the pages that have a dynamic sidebar.

Thanks,
James

PS: Please let me know if you need more information to help solve this problem, I'm a newbie at web development in PHP, so I don't really know what additional information would be of use to you.

Carbon Crayon

1 September 2010 at 5:47am

Hi Atragon,

try using $Top.MyPoll

basically as soon as you do <% control StaticSidebar %> you are now within the context of the static sidebar, which doesnt know what $MyPoll is, so you can use 'Top' to jump back to the top level page context to call your poll.

Aram

Atragon

1 September 2010 at 5:57am

Aram,

That did the job perfectly, thank you very much.

James