Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Adding a TreeMultiselectField to a page type

Go to End

5 Posts   3261 Views

mccarville

Community Member, 32 Posts

16 January 2009 at 12:46pm

Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to SS and I have to say I LOVE IT!!!

I would like to create a page type that includes a TreeMultiselectField where a user could select multiple options from an expandable tree type menu while editing that page type in the admin section.

Does anyone have an example of a class that can build and populate(with options I could define) the menu, and then add it into Root.admin.main so that the end user can use the tool??

I would really appreciate any help you have to offer...

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

16 January 2009 at 1:38pm

You can run getChildrenAsUL() on any object to recursively build out its children. For instance, the menu on the left in the Site Content view of Silverstripe runs singleton('SiteTree')->getChildrenAsUL() (that is, essentially, every page that has been created). One of the arguments it takes is the "template" for the LI... so you can put special classes or hooks in there. I think that's in DataObject.php for reference. Might just look it up in the docs.

mccarville

Community Member, 32 Posts

16 January 2009 at 2:37pm

What you are saying making alot of sense, but to be honest it is a little over my head.

I work for a school in New Jersey, US, and I am trying to develope a system for "online lesson planning". The one request I keep getting is for the teachers to be able to select the applicable "standards" from a list.

The "standards" are dictated by the state and are formated like:

1 - math
1.1 - general
1.1.1 - addition
1.1.2 - subtraction

Ideally there would be a check box or some method of "adding" for each speficic standard.

Is this reasonable?

In Tutorial 2 it shows you how to dispaly the children of another section of the site.

Can you use a similiar technique in the .php files in the 'code' folder to call the children of another area of the site?

::Hope that makes some sort of sense::

UncleCheese

16 January 2009 at 3:35pm

Okay. What is the source of the whole standards hierarchy? Is it static? Or is this stored dynamically in the database?

UncleCheese

16 January 2009 at 4:01pm

Actually, if my 15 credits of a masters degree in education serves me right, then you're probably looking at a population of standards that rarely changes. Let's assume that you have added all the standards, in order, to the Standards table.

/mysite/code/Standard.php

class Standard extends DataObject
{
static $db = array ('Name' => 'Varchar(50)','Number' => 'Varchar(10)');
static $belongs_many_many = array ('Lesson');

}

/mysite/code/Lesson.php

class Lesson extends Page
{
static $many_many = array ('Standards' => 'Standard');

public function getCMSFields()
{
$f = parent::getCMSFields();
$f->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Standards",new CheckboxSetField('Standards','Standards (check all that apply)', DataObject::get("Standard")->toDropdownMap()));
}
}