Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Alternative Redirect to First Child use

18 Posts   5974 Views

SilverRay

Community Member, 167 Posts

27 May 2009 at 12:39am

You mean, you put the above pseudo code in the Page class instead of the HTML like I did?

Ben Gribaudo

Community Member, 181 Posts

27 May 2009 at 7:44am

You mean, you put the above pseudo code in the Page class instead of the HTML like I did?
Yes, in a page class.

Ben

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

22 July 2009 at 9:14pm

Thank you SilverRay! That's a nice idea.

SilverRay

1 February 2010 at 6:59pm

Hey Ben,

Just coincidentally I stumbled on this thread again and noticed that I never followed up, so here it goes, just in case other users find it:

class Page_Controller extends ContentController {
   public function init() {
      if($this->RedirectToChildOne) {
         if($children = $this->Children()) {
            if($firstChild = $children->First()) {
               Director::redirect($firstChild->Link());
            }
         }
      }
   parent::init();
   }
}

In this way you can forego the template code. Thanks Ben for reminding me on this method ;)

SR

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

1 February 2010 at 8:28pm

Let me suggest an improvement: Override the Link method of your class with a code like this:

function Link() {
   if($this->RedirectToChildOne) {
      if($this->Children()->First())
         return $this->Children()->First()->Link();
   }
   return parent::Link();
}

That way, the page-link will point to the first child if RedirectToChildOne is checked, saving the user (and the webserver) from a lot of redirects.

For first-child redirects, I usually use a specialized page class (http://pastie.org/803850). I don't see the point in having a checkbox, since you could just as well change the page-type in the Behavior tab. This is preferable imho, since it updates the CMS UI accordingly. You no longer have a content field to enter content that will never be shown and you can use another page-icon that helps the user to easily spot these redirector pages.

SilverRay

1 February 2010 at 8:51pm

Ah, very smart banal, thanks for your suggestion! There can be a lot of redirects indeed when multiple pages in a hierarchy have redirects.

I used to have a separate class for redirects actually, then I thought to bring it to the Page class for universal use, but your approach makes sense. In my case, sometimes a user wants to revert back to the original page without a redirect, that's why I made it a checkbox, the original page with contents is then still there...

Anyway, I should think more of overriding existing methods ;)

SR

bschmitt

Community Member, 22 Posts

1 May 2010 at 12:30am

@banal: Many thanks for sharing, that was exactly what I was looking for :-) Saved me a lot if time!
Best Bjoern

timwjohn

Community Member, 98 Posts

1 December 2010 at 6:08am

Nice banal, very nice.