Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Standard php commands

6 Posts   1373 Views

Victor

Community Member, 128 Posts

30 March 2009 at 12:19am

Edited: 30/03/2009 12:44am

If I used the standard php website then to display the date I would use

<?php
date('Y-m-d');
?>

and I would be able to put it on the same page as other php command (f.e. the output of SQL query);

1) How one can output date (or other standard php command) with SilverStripe?

2) How one can output them on the same page as output of DataObject::get(....) ?

3) How to output on the same page two commands of the type: DataObject::get(....) (dealing with different fields of different tables)

Thank you in advance. Victor

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

30 March 2009 at 1:04am

Hi Victor

This is all done inside your controller. You create a punction which returns the data you want and then call it from the template via a <% control functionName %> or simply $Function.

For your date example you can just use $Now in your template as this is already setup in the content_controller which Page extends.

You can have as many controller functions as you like and so having multiple peices of data is easy.

So as an example, if I wanted to list the titles of all the pages on my site I would create a function like this in my Controller:

public function GetPages(){
return DataObject::get("Page");
}

then in my template I would do this:

<% control GetPages %>
<h4>$Title</h4>
<% end_control %>

Hope that helps

Victor

30 March 2009 at 1:46am

Yes, it really helps!

Where can I find the description of all built-in functions like $Now ? (thanks for $Now but you help me with understanding was much more helpful)

Victor

Carbon Crayon

30 March 2009 at 2:09am

You can find a list of all the fields and methods available in the template here:

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=built-in-page-controls

However $Now is not on there and I dont think there is a page like that for controller methods, your best bet is to look through the sapphire/core/controller/ContentController.php to see all the functions in there.

Victor

1 April 2009 at 2:53am

Thanks! But $Now.nice etc is on this page

Carbon Crayon

1 April 2009 at 3:31am

So it is! Even better :)