Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Using JRank (external search engine) with Silverstripe

Go to End

4 Posts   3831 Views

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

27 June 2009 at 10:58am

Hi everyone,

I've found that Silverstripe's built in search feature can't match an indexing and ranking search engine for quality, so I've written some code that integrates JRank - an external search engine - into Silverstripe. You can find the code here:
http://hdrlab.org.nz/integrating-the-jrank-search-engine-into-a-silverstripe-site/

It's not implemented as a module, because I'm quite new to extending Silverstripe, and PHP in general, but it is fairly easy to set up. Added to that, it works nicely as-is. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Hans

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

10 July 2009 at 8:39am

Awesome, clean code and nice separation of presentation from the RESTful logic. You might want to look at the RestfulService class to save yourself some coding :) I'd say the module is not that far off from having a 0.1 release, its basically just lacking some documentation.

By the way, we're currently implementing sphinx search (http://sphinxsearch.com/) as a better on-site alternative to mysql fulltext. If that goes all goes according to plan, it should become a module soon.

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

17 July 2009 at 12:17pm

Edited: 17/07/2009 12:18pm

Thanks. I didn't know about that class. Good to hear that an integrated search engine is coming. The biggest difference between JRank and Sphinx is that JRank runs on a separate server, whereas Sphinx runs on the local server. It depends on what people want and how fast/slow their server is.

Hans

BuddhaSource

Community Member, 57 Posts

19 July 2009 at 4:49am

Nice to hear about integration of Sphinx Search server ...
;) now I have to look for host who supports it.