Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Language translation in SS 2.3.3 (Images & DataObjectManager ComplexTableField)

4 Posts   1559 Views

Terminator4

Community Member, 81 Posts

20 August 2009 at 10:12pm

Hey guys,

I am really impressed with the way in which the language translation functionality works in the latest SS. However, I am not sure how to do the following:

1) I would be able to inherit images from the default locale and use it for other languages in the backoffice and frontend

2) How would I be able to make language translations work for ComplexTableFields.

3) How would I allow these translations to be shown properly a table and be inherited for use in drop downs

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

25 August 2009 at 9:31am

I don't get what you mean with "inherited" in 1) and 3), sorry.

> 2) How would I be able to make language translations work for ComplexTableFields.
http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/4435

Grüße
Ingo

Terminator4

Community Member, 81 Posts

26 August 2009 at 8:34pm

Hi Ingo,
Thank you for that ComplexTable fix.

With regard to inheriting data in the database I will clarify with the following example:
1) Product X has many images
2) Product X has many colours
3) Product X has many categories it falls into

I need to translate Product X and retain 1-3

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

27 August 2009 at 8:23am

Edited: 27/08/2009 8:24am

Ah, of course. Thats currently not possible, see http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/3722

For a has_one relationship, you can work around it by overloading the getters/setters for the field.
For has_many/many_many, you could try overloading it and just returning the relations for any of the translations. A bit hacky, because it means that you still associate the objects with a translation, rather than the original:

class Product extends DataObject {
   $has_many = array('Colors'=>'Color');
   function Colors() {
      $ids = implode(',',$this->getTranslations()->column('ID'));
      return $this->getComponents('Colors', sprintf('"Color"."ProductID" IN %s', $ids));
   }
}
class Color extends DataObject {
   $has_one = array('Product'=>'Product');
}

You might get into trouble with the existing "ProductID = X" check generated by getComponents(), in whcih case you'd have to manipulate the query directly through getComponentsQuery(). Also note that the code doesn't have any error checking for empty sets etc.