Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS

2.3.3. multilingual problem (java script parse error)

Go to End

10 Posts   3187 Views


18 September 2009 at 3:55am Community Member, 11 Posts


I have an important question to my multilingual problem in silverstripe 2.3.3. I put this code in my _config.php.


After that I logged my in the Backend. Now I had a Setup Box with German and English. I tryed the English CMS and I made some categories and so on. It seems to work. But later I had some new Buttons in there and I can delete them. It always says Java script parse error. Picture Attached!!!

1. What is to do that I get my CMS in 2 languages?
Can I use this threat? But I have the Problem with categories???

2. How can I delete this categories?
3. It is possible to delete the whole English part?

Please explain me what is to do! Thx from Germany...

Attached Files

27 September 2009 at 4:49pm Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

> But later I had some new Buttons in there and I can delete them.
What buttons? Did you overload getCMSFields()?

> It always says Java script parse error.
That doesnt give us much. Please download and tell us the ajax response output.


28 September 2009 at 5:32am Community Member, 11 Posts

Hi Ingo,

I have to explain better. When I do a dev/build I get in my English CMS always a new Category. It meens the CMS generate always a new page not found side. I want to delete that but that is in the English CMS not possible only in the German. I always get a Javascript Parse error.
I read that is a bug in silverstripe, I found this threat and I tried it. That is not working for me. Did you have a solution.

Another question is I want to try new sidetypes in my English CMS, Because in the English Frontend the SIdebar is in German etc. I want to translate that in English. I think that is not possible?

thx for your help...


28 September 2009 at 8:28am Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

The bug you're referring to is about batch actions - did you try to apply those? The parse error can mean anything, we really need the actual error output from the ajax response.


7 October 2009 at 1:25am Community Member, 11 Posts

Hello Ingo,

thank you for your help. In my first steps I translated the german to the english pages. That works but I can't change sidetypes. damn. somebody told me that is not possible.

Thats why I decided to do new pages for my english sidetypes. Because I need that why my english website has an english sidebar and many other things which depends form the english layout.

the main big problem is that I don't delete any category in the english backend. I also can not unpublish the category (english backend).

I installed me firebug on mozilla, which information do you need for helping me?

thx ingo


7 October 2009 at 8:51am Community Member, 127 Posts


try changing the lines concerning Translatable in your _config.php to this:

Object::add_extension('SiteTree', 'Translatable');
$allowed_locales = array(


7 October 2009 at 9:27pm Community Member, 11 Posts

Thx Kalileo for your help. I put this code in my _config.php

//making silverstripe multilinugal
Object::add_extension('SiteTree', 'Translatable');
//set default language
$allowed_locales = array(


After that I have only 2 languages in my set up box (Backend).
But I have the same problem I can't delete or unpublish artikles or pages in the english backend.



7 October 2009 at 9:44pm (Last edited: 7 October 2009 9:46pm), Community Member, 21 Posts

i had the some problem once, see [url=] posting[/url];
as a workaround you could use the buttons "Unpublish" or "Delete from draft site" and not the batch-actions;

but the patch from ticket [url=]4442[/url] resolved the problem with the batch-actions in my case;
you should also apply the patch from ticket [url=]4420[/url] to have a "correct" labelling of the batch-actions;

Go to Top