Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Customising the CMS /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Nested menus

Go to End

6 Posts   2425 Views

Community Member, 26 Posts

1 November 2009 at 5:46am

Edited: 01/11/2009 5:47am

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes...

I am designing a site that needs nested sub-menus. For example, I have setup "MusicHolder" and "MusicPage" pages. Under the main MusicHolder page, I have a link to another MusicHolder page for a band. Now we're two MusicHolder pages in, and what's next is all the albums by this one band... but the list of "MusicPage" albums aren't listed in the 2nd MusicHolder submenu.

-MusicHolder (Click here to see the list of bands)
--MusicHolder (This is a cool band)
---MusicPage (This is the cool band's first album)
---MusicPage (This is the cool band's second album)
---MusicPage (This is the cool band's third album)

etc. etc...

So from the 2nd MusicHolder page, the sub-menu does not list the MusicPage pages with the list of albums... what to do??

Community Member, 902 Posts

1 November 2009 at 7:11am

I'm not sure if I really understand what you're trying to do.. the structure you provided as example should be easy to do. To output sub-pages in the template, simply use the "Children" control? Eg. <% control Children %>

Community Member, 26 Posts

1 November 2009 at 7:52am

It may well be quite easy to do... this is the first website I've tried to make, so I'm struggling against a steep learning curve at the moment.. Would the <% control Children %> tag go in the layout file?

Community Member, 902 Posts

3 November 2009 at 7:46pm

Well, it depends where your list should appear. If you want a list like proposed in your first post, you would build it using the Children control on the MusicHolder Page template to list the MusicPages.

You can also output it like a navigation, so that it's always visible, no matter where you currently are on the site:

<% control Menu(1) %>
	$Title <!-- MusicHolder -->
	<% control Children %>
		$Title <!-- MusicHolder Children, eg. cool band -->
		<% control Children %>
			$Title <!-- MusicPage -->
		<% end_control %>
	<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

This is just an uncluttered example, but the generated markup might not really be useful. You should add some <ul> and <li> tags and of course links in there.

Community Member, 21 Posts

19 September 2013 at 7:53am

Hi all,

I was looking for nested menu module for silverstripe 3.0

can anyone suggest me for the same.

Thanks in advance

Community Member, 347 Posts

21 September 2013 at 9:35am

Banal answered your question but in SS2.4 way so if u have 3.0 replace all 'control' with 'loop'. Example - <% loop Menu(1) %><% end_loop %>

Arvixe Web Hosting / SilverStripe Community Liaison | Looking for quality SilverStripe Web Hosting? Look no further than Arvixe Web Hosting!