Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

renaming columntitles of listview in modeladmin

6 Posts   1762 Views

theAlien

Community Member, 131 Posts

6 January 2010 at 4:47am

hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to rename the columntitles of the resultslist in modeladmin.

that would be usefull if the data are retrieved in a more complex way. For exampe:

static $summary_fields = array(
      'MyData.Data'
   );

will echo the following columntitle: "My Data Data", while just "Data" would do fine (and be less ugly ;-) ).

I tried the following (a parallel with $searchable_fields):

'MyData.Data'=>array('title'=>'Data')
   );

But that throws an error. Does someone know a solution?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

6 January 2010 at 9:31am

I'm pretty sure you can just do the title as the array value

'MyData.Data' => 'Data Column'
);

theAlien

Community Member, 131 Posts

7 January 2010 at 9:33am

Hi Willr,

Thanks for your reply. At first I slammed my head: so simple a solution, it just has to be true...

But unfortunately, it doesn't work: either the column disappears (in case of 'MyData.Data' => 'Data Column') as a whole, or only the data in the column disappear (in case of renaming the column: 'Data'=>'Data Column').

Maybe someone has another idea?

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 109 Posts

6 March 2010 at 12:40pm

sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't get it to work consistently with the simple example that Will gave. Has anyone else tried to rename the columns of the grid in the ModelAdmin?

Maybe this is a good place to implement the DOM plugin since it's so much more robust?

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 109 Posts

6 March 2010 at 12:52pm

ACTUALLY...i just found the answer to this. the more i learn about SS the more i fall in love with it!!!

After you have defined your $summary_fields:

'ListingType.ListingType',
      'PropertyType.PropertyType',
      'Name',
      'Address',
      'City',
      'State.StateName',
      'ZipCode',
   );

You can/need to the define the labels:

static $field_labels = array(
      'ListingType.ListingType' => 'Listing Type',
      'PropertyType.PropertyType' => 'Property Type',
'State.StateName' => 'State',
   );

I like this method...because it keeps everything in your model settings. very nice, though i also agree that it should have simply worked in the example Will gave. that would have been even better.

timwjohn

Community Member, 98 Posts

4 April 2010 at 5:56am

Nice.

$field_labels is a cleaner way of defining the labels, rather than doing it 'inline'. It means the labels are unified wherever you display them e.g. in $search_fields and in $summary_fields. No need to define them more than once.