Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Accessing Parents Parent information

4 Posts   4867 Views

obj63mc

Community Member, 25 Posts

6 January 2010 at 6:48am

Hi All,

I am trying to access an objects parent parent. For example. I have a homepage that has a featured article. The article is in a structure of Category >> Sub Cat >> Article. So I can access the parent of the article to get the sub category - $FeaturedArticle.Parent.Link

When I try $FeaturedArticle.Parent.Parent.Link though this will then simply return an error stating the forTemplate method is not available for category to render. Because of this I added the forTemplate method but then nothing returns at all when I call it. No errors, nothing. My forTemplate function is below, any idea when I then call $FeaturedArticle.Parent.Parent nothing displays on my .ss template? Also does anyone know a better way to access this data from the $FeaturedArticle variable that I have.

function forTemplate() {
      $whereStatement = "CategoryPage_Live.ID = " . $this->ID; // Select the current category
$orderBy = null;
$limit = null;
$join = null;

//$whereStatement = "ParentID = ".$this->ParentID." AND ID <> ".$this->ID;
$cat = DataObject::get("CategoryPage", $whereStatement, $orderBy, $join, $limit);

$string = '<a href="'.$cat->Link.'">'.$cat->Title.'</a>';
      return $string;
   }

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

6 January 2010 at 9:21am

Not sure the template parser supports that level of nested commands (Parent.Parent). You probably have to wrap it in a control

<% control FeaturedArticle %>
<% control Parent %>
$Parent.Link
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

wee-man

Community Member, 21 Posts

8 January 2010 at 11:01am

I think Willr is right.
But it makes the templates "ugly" ;)

If i have such a situation i use delegate-methods to avoid control..control..control blocks in the templates.
For example FeaturedArticle

function Category() {
return $this->Parent()->Parent();
}

Now the template looks like this

$Category.Link

obj63mc

Community Member, 25 Posts

8 January 2010 at 11:19am

Thanks all, these solutions work perfectly.