Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] How to create non-static default values or preselect DropDownFields?

Go to End

5 Posts   2924 Views

bkausbk

Community Member, 11 Posts

26 January 2010 at 12:29am

Edited: 09/02/2010 9:54pm

Is there a way to create non static default values. Usually all default values are defined in $default array like:

static $defaults = array(
	'Live' => true
);

I want to assign the ID of the member who created a news article page. For this purpose I created a relation like:

public static $has_one = array(
	'Author' => 'Member'
);

This will create a new AuthorID in my NewsArticle related database table.
Each time a registered user creates a new NewsArticle, a DropDownField on CMS page should be displayed with preselected own Member (Member::currentUserID()) name. The user/news administrator should be able to change the member who created the specified news article.

The problem is, how can I pre select that member in the created DropDownList? What I tried so far is following:

[...]
$members = DataObject::get('Member');
if ($members) {
	$membersmap = $members->map_multiple("ID", array("FirstName", "Surname"));
} else {
	$membersmap = null;
}
$authorfield = new DropdownField('AuthorID', 'Author', $membersmap, Member::currentUserID());
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', $authorfield, 'Content');

As I found out, the 4th argument in DropDownField ctor is the default value. But if a new news article page is created this 4th argument will be ignored, is always reset to 0. What can I do here to pre select a specified entry in DropDownField?

Even $authorfield->value = Member::currentUserID() didn't work. Is there maybe a bug in SilverStripe?
I'm using SilverStripe 2.3.4.

Thank's for help,
bkausbk

Attached Files
bkausbk

2 February 2010 at 12:18am

Does anybody has an idea here? Or how would you solve my problem in another way?

CodeGuerrilla

Community Member, 105 Posts

2 February 2010 at 4:40pm

Edited: 02/02/2010 4:41pm

* deleted *

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

2 February 2010 at 4:44pm

The way to do this is to overload populateDefaults() in your SiteTree sub-class - this is called when a new object is created. Just make sure to call the parent method as well. Something like this should do the job:

public function populateDefaults() {
	$this->AuthorID = Member::currentUserID();
	parent::populateDefaults();
}

bkausbk

2 February 2010 at 11:47pm

Thank you ajshort, this was exactly what I was looking for.

But what is the 4th argument in DropDownField for? As far as I found out by viewing the source is that the 4th argument is the default value for that DropDownField.