Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Querying Group_Members Table

5 Posts   1522 Views

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

31 August 2010 at 2:42am

I understand that you can't use DataObject::get on Group_Members because its a relational table with no classname column(thats my understanding at least)

What i want to do is get the GroupID where MemberID equals a certain MemberID depending on who is logged on. I'm trying to figure out how to do this easily. Do i need to use joins or can I just use a DB:Query?

any help would be appreciated.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

31 August 2010 at 8:32pm

well if you just want ID's then you can just use something like DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID = '1'")

copernican

1 September 2010 at 1:10am

I tried using that but it didn't seem to return anything, maybe i was doing something wrong.

Heres a snippet of my code

//getting current memberID
$memberID = Member::currentUserID();
//using rawquery to get groupID
$groupMemberID = DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID);

$groupMember = dataobject::get_one('Group', "ID = ". $groupMemberID);

$parentID = $groupMember->getField('ParentID');

Using this code, i get a couldnt run query SQL error "FROM "Group" WHERE (ID = ) LIMIT 1" it looks as though $groupMemberID is returning NULL. Is there some other step(s) I am missing?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

1 September 2010 at 10:08am

DB::query() returns you a query object. You then have to call the various methods on it to get the raw data. For example the query DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID); would return a single column of ID's. If you wanted the top left most value (top group ID) you would call value(); on it

DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID)->value();

If you wanted a column of all the ID's in an array you call column() which returns the left most column

DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID)->column();

http://api.silverstripe.org/2.4/sapphire/model/SS_Query.html

copernican

1 September 2010 at 11:51pm

perfect, thank you, Willr.