Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Querying Group_Members Table

Go to End

5 Posts   2160 Views

copernican

Community Member, 189 Posts

31 August 2010 at 2:42am

I understand that you can't use DataObject::get on Group_Members because its a relational table with no classname column(thats my understanding at least)

What i want to do is get the GroupID where MemberID equals a certain MemberID depending on who is logged on. I'm trying to figure out how to do this easily. Do i need to use joins or can I just use a DB:Query?

any help would be appreciated.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

31 August 2010 at 8:32pm

well if you just want ID's then you can just use something like DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID = '1'")

copernican

1 September 2010 at 1:10am

I tried using that but it didn't seem to return anything, maybe i was doing something wrong.

Heres a snippet of my code

//getting current memberID
$memberID = Member::currentUserID();
//using rawquery to get groupID
$groupMemberID = DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID);

$groupMember = dataobject::get_one('Group', "ID = ". $groupMemberID);

$parentID = $groupMember->getField('ParentID');

Using this code, i get a couldnt run query SQL error "FROM "Group" WHERE (ID = ) LIMIT 1" it looks as though $groupMemberID is returning NULL. Is there some other step(s) I am missing?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

1 September 2010 at 10:08am

DB::query() returns you a query object. You then have to call the various methods on it to get the raw data. For example the query DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID); would return a single column of ID's. If you wanted the top left most value (top group ID) you would call value(); on it

DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID)->value();

If you wanted a column of all the ID's in an array you call column() which returns the left most column

DB::query("SELECT GroupID FROM Group_Members WHERE MemberID =". $memberID)->column();

http://api.silverstripe.org/2.4/sapphire/model/SS_Query.html

copernican

1 September 2010 at 11:51pm

perfect, thank you, Willr.