Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Email bounce handlers

Go to End

5 Posts   2535 Views

mobius

Community Member, 54 Posts

26 July 2010 at 1:41pm

Hi,

I have built a site that sends out lots of emails to various lists, and am wanting to implement proper bounce handling.

I see there is an Email_Bouncehandler class, but it doesn't have much documentation.

Can someone please give me some pointers as to generally how I'd set up this sort of functionality? Would I create a separate mailbox and poll it? Or is it possible for a mail system to bounce back to a url?

Cheers, Al

Dig

Community Member, 33 Posts

26 November 2010 at 2:24pm

I'm also curious about this, shame no one has replied yet.

In the newsletter module the bounce 'detection' doesn't seem to do anything, any pointers on how to set it up to work properly?

Cheers,
Nick

ht_kanrisha

Community Member, 9 Posts

7 August 2011 at 11:04am

Anyone? I desperately want to know the answers from SilverStripe experts.

MarcusDalgren

Community Member, 288 Posts

7 August 2011 at 11:45pm

Ok so you can actually set the bounce handler when sending your emails, it's fifth argument when you construct a new Email. The bounce handler in this case is just a controller (check the code in sapphire/email/Email.php) which gets the data sent back to it. I'm no Email expert so I don't know how a bounce actually works but if you subclass Email_BounceHandler then that class will be used automatically instead.

Actually when googling it I found this. It seems to be what you guys need.

dhensby

Community Member, 253 Posts

26 January 2013 at 4:58am

Just a note that the link in the last comment has broken and moved to: http://www.burnbright.net/tech-blog/how-to-set-up-email-bounce-handling-using-silverstripe-and-cpanel/