Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Bumbling with LatestNews DataObject [solved]

5 Posts   1270 Views

Parradoxx

Community Member, 5 Posts

7 January 2011 at 6:11pm

Edited: 07/01/2011 6:17pm

Greetings,

Just starting out SS v2.4.3, trying to implement a LatestNews function within HomePage_Controller which will allow me to pull both "news" and "announcements" (both which use ArticleHolder/ArticlePage pages). The ArticleHolders and ArticlePages all display correctly. The HomePage summary displays a single empty object each for News and Annoucements.

I've tried more than a few dozen subtle permutations based on various forum articles and reading the DataObject documentation. Here's where I'm at:

class HomePage_Controller extends Page_Controller {

function LatestNews($title='news', $num=5) {
      $mynews = DataObject::get("ArticleHolder", "URLSegment = '". $title . "'");
      if (!$mynews || !$mynews->exists()) {
         echo "fail";
         return false;
      }
      return ($items) ? DataObject::get("ArticlePage", "ParentID = ". $mynews->ID, "ArticleDate DESC", "", $num) : false;
   }
}

In the HomePage.ss layout is the following:

<h2>Announcements</h2>
   <ul id="NewsList">
   <% control LatestNews(announcements) %>
      <li class="newsDateTitle"><a href="$Link" title="Read more on &quot;{$Title}&quot;">$Title</a></li>
      <li class="newsDateTitle">$ArticleDate.Nice</li>
      <li class="newsSummary">$Content.FirstParagraph<a href="$Link" title="Read more on &quot;{$Title}&quot;">Read more &gt;&gt;</a></li>
   <% end_control %>
   </ul>
<h2>Latest News</h2>
   <ul id="NewsList">
   <% control LatestNews(news) %>
      <li class="newsDateTitle"><a href="$Link" title="Read more on &quot;{$Title}&quot;">$Title</a></li>
      <li class="newsDateTitle">$ArticleDate.Nice</li>
      <li class="newsSummary">$Content.FirstParagraph<a href="$Link" title="Read more on &quot;{$Title}&quot;">Read more &gt;&gt;</a></li>
   <% end_control %>
   </ul>

Not surprisingly, an example of the resulting HTML is:

<h2>Latest News</h2>
   <ul id="NewsList">
      <li class="newsDateTitle"><a href="" title="Read more on &quot;&quot;"></a></li>
      <li class="newsDateTitle"></li>
      <li class="newsSummary"><a href="" title="Read more on &quot;&quot;">Read more &gt;&gt;</a></li>
   </ul>

I've spent about 8 hours on this; I'm sure its a classic blunder, and I'll really appreciate any help!

Bret

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

7 January 2011 at 7:07pm

DataObject::get("ArticleHolder", "URLSegment = '". $title . "'");

get() returns a set. Not a single object. Therefore you cannot access the 'ID' as the ID of a set is well nothing in this case! You should use get_one() instead.

Parradoxx

7 January 2011 at 7:41pm

Edited: 07/01/2011 7:44pm

Willr,
True, and thank you. But trying that yields the same result. I performed about 16 permutations with get_one() as originally spec'd in the Tutorial, then tried get() as some had complained about flaws with get_one(). For practical intent, consider this the current line of code: (which I just entered and uploaded, built and flushed, with the same result)

$mynews = DataObject::get_one("ArticleHolder", "URLSegment = '". $title . "'");

Everything else is the same. Next?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

8 January 2011 at 12:45pm

Ok lets break down all that code to see where its failing. Using Debug::show(); you can see what is inside a variable.

If you do Debug::show($mynews); after the get_one(); you should have a record. If you don't have a record (i.e Debug::show() is simply white) then that URLSegment = '". $title "' is not matching anything. Remove it and you should now see a ArticleHolder record in the Debug::show(); check to see what this URLSegment is.

If you don't see any change with Debug::show() (it should be a white box at the top) ensure your site is in dev mode.

Parradoxx

8 January 2011 at 3:19pm

Willr...
... you da' man!

I had to turn off xhtml strict in the Page template before the dev-mode box would show. Dev mode found an undeclared variable, that being "items". Debug::show($mynews) worked as expected (as was suspected, since I wasn't seeing the "Fail" echo, either). But after fixing the undeclared variable, everything worked fine.

I swear, "items" is one of the last things I tried. I have no idea why it was failing in the previous 2 dozen iterations -- but your tip is what got it going. I thank you hugely! ...so do my customers!