Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

[SOLVED] Calling an email template function using a button

Go to End

7 Posts   1673 Views

cumquat

Community Member, 201 Posts

19 April 2011 at 4:24am

Edited: 19/04/2011 4:25am

Hi there,

I've been looking around the forum all day and so far i haven't been able to come up with a solution, i want to have a button on the screen that when clicked runs a function that is set to email instructions to an email group, i have most of it done but i don't seem to be able to make a button run the function. My code is below, as ever would welcome some pointers or even the answer :o)

function EmailSearchTeam() { 
		return new Form($this, '', new FieldSet(new HiddenField('Hidden')), new FieldSet(new FormAction('doEmailSearchTeam', 'Email the Team'))); 
	}

function doEmailSearchTeam() {

$email = new Email(); 
       $email->setTemplate('TestEmail'); 
	    $email->setFrom('xxxx@xxxxx.com');
       $email->setTo('yyyyyy@yyyyyy.com'); 
       $email->setSubject('New Event Added '); 
       $email->populateTemplate(Member::currentUser()); 
       $email->populateTemplate(array( 
	   	'Title' => $this->owner->Title,
	   	'Date' => $this->owner->StartDate,
	   	'StartTime' => $this->owner->StartTime,
       	'Location' => $this->owner->Location, 
		'Contact1' => $this->owner->Contact1,
         )); 
       $email->send(); 
}

Sorry should add, there are no errors it all looks like it works but no email is sent, i'm wondering whether you can actually call a function like this.
Hope someone can help.

regards

Mick

cumquat

20 April 2011 at 1:28am

Well still trying to get this idea run, the email gets sent if i attach it to the onAfterWrite() function so i think the email code is fine, i just don't think the function is being called from the form button.

Is what i'm trying to do possible?

Mick

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

20 April 2011 at 8:59pm

You're missing the 2 parameters in your doEmailSearchTeam function for the form handler to match. I think you need to change it too doEmailSearchTeam($data, $form)

cumquat

20 April 2011 at 9:35pm

Hi Willr,

Thanks for getting back, I've had those parameters in and out to no avail. It just doesn't seem to want call that function.

Mick

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

21 April 2011 at 9:29am

Could you post that whole file? FYI the form and action need to be in a controller (not a dataobject) so that it can be posted to it after the form submits.

cumquat

21 April 2011 at 11:00pm

Hi ya,

I thought that was gonna be it, i was hoping that was gonna be it but alas it is on a controller, it's actually on UC's calendar.php file as i'm tweaking that so those two functions are added to the bottom of that.

I may have a work around i'm gonna try which will add functionality anyway which is to create a new table and write to that with a log of email sent then use the email function on the onAfterWrite() function to send it.

Cheers and Happy Easter.

Mick

cumquat

10 May 2011 at 8:50pm

Ok i have now got this part sussed, it was because of the static $allowed_actions = array which was on the page, i hadn't added my function to that list.

DOH!!!

ok now onto the next part which is to actually get the data.

regards

Mick