Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Query multiple page classes for pagination - can't merge DataObjectSets?

2 Posts   509 Views

KINKCreative

Community Member, 56 Posts

2 November 2011 at 2:09am

Edited: 02/11/2011 2:15am

Hello,

In the course of a project, due to poor planning we added two unrelated page types, VideoPage and ArticlePage that both have a YouTube string holding the YouTube ID. ArticlePage, the newer one was added later for some content purposes and -could- absorb a VideoPage (it has more variables, but the video variable is the same and really for the client's workflow, it would be a hindrance AND more than 200 VideoPages are already live and still being added to some sections. Also the holder pages function with them as well.

Now. On a particular page I need to aggregate both these page types to show ALL the pages where the YouTube string isn't empty - that means, ArticlePages and VideoPages, and the dataobjectset needs to be paginated.

I was thinking first to migrate the old page type into the new one. Due to the live and draft stages and the fragile SiteTree table this sounds like a bit of a dangerous task. The VideoPages either wouldn't be in the ArticlePage tables or I would lose the video variable if changing the class type.

So now I am guessing a custom SQL query will do. How can I select VideoPages and ArticlePages WHERE Video!="" but still preserve the pagination capabilities? Merging dataobjectsets therefore doesn't work.

VideoPage

class VideoPage extends Page {

static $db = array(
       "YouTube" => "Varchar(255)"
    );

ArticlePage

class ArticlePage extends Page implements PermissionProvider {

static $db = array(
      "YouTube" => "Varchar(255)",

VideoAggregatorPage

class PhotoVideoCollector extends Page {

function getPaginatedVideos() {
   if(!isset($_GET['start']) || !is_numeric($_GET['start']) || (int)$_GET['start'] < 1) $_GET['start'] = 0;
   $SQL_start = (int)$_GET['start'];
   if(!isset($this->NumberItems) || $this->NumberItems<=0) {
      $n=12;
   }
   else {
      $n= $this->NumberItems;
   }

return $this->getAllVideos($SQL_start,$n);
}

public function getAllVideos($start=0,$n=0, $random=false) {

if($random) {
         $sort="RAND()";