Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

SS3 onAfterWrite Browser Hangs

5 Posts   711 Views

okotoker

Community Member, 41 Posts

18 July 2012 at 3:45pm

I am doing something pretty simple

public function onAfterWrite( ){

$pageID = $this->LinkPageID;
      if($pageID){
         $LinkedPage = Page::get()->filter(array('ID'=>$pageID))->first();
         $LinkedPage->LinkPageID = $this->ID;
         $LinkedPage->write();
       parent::onAfterWrite();   
      }

}

I can see the update in the database so its working and sometimes it goes though just fine but most of the time the browser just hangs and then gets a 500 error. The fact that sometimes it works fine and that I can see the updates in the database has me boggled.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

18 July 2012 at 8:02pm

It isn't stuck in a loop is it? i.e LinkedPage->write() triggers a new onBeforeWrite() which then fires a new onBeforeWrite.

okotoker

19 July 2012 at 4:05am

Ok so I created a test were it created new records instead of just changing info and it was creating 5 new records so it is looping. I am using onAfterWrite here and not onBeforeWrite.

So how do I update new information without creating the loop? I tried all sorts of things but always got the loop. So I upon saving the current page updating information on another page as well is what I am trying to accomplish.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

19 July 2012 at 5:43pm

Try not calling write() as that will trigger the loops again. You can use something like a direct DB::query() to update your database rather than using the ORM.

okotoker

20 July 2012 at 9:29am

That did the trick. Thanks for the help.