Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

SS3 call a function from different DataObject

5 Posts   529 Views

voodoochile

Community Member, 52 Posts

1 February 2013 at 10:16pm

Hi All

This may be simple but im just not sure

I have a dataobject extension that has a function with a query in it, i want to access that function from a different dataobject extension.
Can this be done? and how?

Thanks

kinglozzer

Community Member, 175 Posts

2 February 2013 at 12:25am

Create it as a static function:

Class MyDataObject extends DataObject {

public static function foo() {
// Do some querying
}

}

You can then call it by doing:

MyDataObject::foo()

voodoochile

2 February 2013 at 9:33pm

Hi Kinglozzer

Thanks for your reply, when i made the function public static the wheels came off a bit and nothing worked.

although this gives me something to go on unfortunatly i have little time to explore this right now so i will plug away as i get time and try a few things and see what i get working

thanks again

voodoochile

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

4 February 2013 at 8:05pm

If it's static you need to refer to the extension classname (e.g MyDataExtension::foo()). If your method is instance based you need to go $this->owner->foo().

voodoochile

5 February 2013 at 10:35pm

Thanks Willr

I managed to work that bit out as in MyDataExtension::foo() and kind of got it working but not well, in the page view it returns a value for each object but dosn't seem to be running the query.

at this point i think i need to play around a little with this to get the result i am looking for.