Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Assign a user to a dataobject record

5 Posts   478 Views

sajok

Community Member, 82 Posts

3 May 2013 at 5:45am

Hello,

I have AdminModel section to create and manage schools. Now I need to assign a user to a specific school record, so they can only see that recod and edit it. Administrators can create schools and assign a user to them, but the assigned user can only see their school.

I'm thinking of adding a dropdown field of site users in the school creation page, but I need help on how I can assign permission to them.

Any idea how to accomplish this?

Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

3 May 2013 at 8:38pm

So your users are already in the CMS? First step is to break your project into steps and work on each step. Assigning users to a school is done via relationships (http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/tutorials/5-dataobject-relationship-management) and permission control is done via can*() methods. For example:

<?php

class School extends DataObject {

static $has_one = array(
'Manager' => 'Member'
);

function canEdit($member = null) {
if(!$member) $member = Member::currentUser();

if($member->ID == $this->ManagerID) {
return true;
}

return Permission::check('ADMIN');
}

function canDelete($member = null) {
return $this->canEdit($member);
}

}

sajok

4 May 2013 at 5:51am

Thanks Willr, that helps a lot..

I created a dropdown field in the school dataobject so I can assign a user to manage the school, but when I select a user from the dropdown field it doesn't seem to be selected after clicking save:

static $has_one = array(
'Manager' => 'Member'
);

public function getCMSFields() {
return new FieldList(
<...>
new DropdownField('MemberID', 'School Admin', DataList::create("Member")->map("ID", "Title"))
);
}

I have done this other object that I created with no problem, but in the case of Member class, do I need to sub-class it just to add a has_one relationship with the School DataObject?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

4 May 2013 at 9:46am

That looks fine, have you run a /dev/build to rebuild your database?

sajok

6 May 2013 at 2:41pm

After running dev/build the user now is assigned to School dataobject.

Now when a manager edits their school record they see the dropdown field where the user is assigned to the school. I want this field to be hidden from school managers or to be shown as readonly field.

Any idea how to make this possible?